Direct Hedging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct Hedging

I'm not sure if this is possible in NinjaTrader, but I'd like to test a strategy that uses direct hedging, which means selling or buying a currency pair or futures contract against a current position in the same instrument. I read that this is currently disallowed in the US due to regulations, but the workaround is to open multiple accounts so you can hold positions in the opposite direction of each other.

For example, suppose I buy 1 contract in 6E based on a trend in the 15 min timeframe, but I still want to hold a contract I sold based on a trend in the 60 min timeframe. The contract in the 15 min timeframe is a hedge against a winning position in the 60 min timeframe.

A couple difficulties:

1) I don't think it's possible to enter a buy order of one contract without closing the contract that was sold.

2) If I wanted to instead buy the 1 contract in a different account, how could that be accomplished?

Hopefully my issue is clear. I guess the bottom line is that I want to backtest and ultimately accomplish direct hedging in NinjaTrader, whether it means opening a position in the opposite direction of a currently open position without closing it, or to open a position in a different account.

jdrobinson,

It is possible to hedge using a separate account. You can select which account you want to use in any trading instrument in NinjaTrader, and if you have access to more than one account you will be able to place a short and a long at the same time.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by aprilfool, 12-03-2022, 03:01 PM
    2 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post BottomShark77  
    Started by AnnBarnes, Today, 12:17 PM
    1 response
    0 likes