Possible to support bracket orders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to support bracket orders?

I know NT7 can be used on various brokers, and since most of them don't support bracket orders, NT 7 team decided not to.
    However, I think it will be beneficial to support bracket orders if the brokers support them.
    For example, if a user buys NT 7 and use it to trade in IB and tradeStation, then your bracket order will work. If the user trades in other brokers, then your bracket order API will fake the bracket order by holding the stop loss on the local machine until it receives confirmation from the broker that the entry order is executed.
    I think this is doable. I am not sure if NT 7 want to take this advice or not.
    I am currently shopping around the platforms. NT 7 has a lot of bugs that makes me very concerned. MultiCharts seem to have less bugs, but their programming language is hard to learn. TradeStation platform's review is terrible.

Originally posted by zehua View Post
    I know NT7 can be used on various brokers, and since most of them don't support bracket orders, NT 7 team decided not to.
    However, I think it will be beneficial to support bracket orders if the brokers support them.
    For example, if a user buys NT 7 and use it to trade in IB and tradeStation, then your bracket order will work. If the user trades in other brokers, then your bracket order API will fake the bracket order by holding the stop loss on the local machine until it receives confirmation from the broker that the entry order is executed.
    I think this is doable. I am not sure if NT 7 want to take this advice or not.
    I am currently shopping around the platforms. NT 7 has a lot of bugs that makes me very concerned. MultiCharts seem to have less bugs, but their programming language is hard to learn. TradeStation platform's review is terrible.
    What you describe is exactly what NinjaTrader does right now, and has done for quite a while.

ref: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=5349

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
      What you describe is exactly what NinjaTrader does right now, and has done for quite a while.

ref: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=5349
      OCO is not bracket orders. OCO is One-Cancel-Another.
      Bracket orders means I can submit an entry limit order with a stop loss and profit target order at the same time in one atomic operation.

Comment

Hello zehua,
        Thank you for your post.

Our ATM Strategies are designed to do this for you. They submit the target and stop at the same time using the OCO order group or Bracket order, which to my understanding and research are the same thing. If you do an internet search, or talk to your broker a "Bracket Order" is the same thing as an OCO order group:

An order to buy is bracketed by a high-side Sell Order and a low-side Stop Order. And order to sell a security is bracketed by a high-side buy Stop Order and a low-side Buy Order. Bracket Orders can also be referred to as OCO (One Cancels the other Order) or OCA (One Cancels Another).

Please see our ATM Strategy guide for more information and as Koganam states, NinjaTrader already does this for you: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/advanced_trade_management_atm.htm

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to further assist.
        Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJ View Post
          Hello zehua,
          Thank you for your post.

Our ATM Strategies are designed to do this for you. They submit the target and stop at the same time using the OCO order group or Bracket order, which to my understanding and research are the same thing. If you do an internet search, or talk to your broker a "Bracket Order" is the same thing as an OCO order group:

An order to buy is bracketed by a high-side Sell Order and a low-side Stop Order. And order to sell a security is bracketed by a high-side buy Stop Order and a low-side Buy Order. Bracket Orders can also be referred to as OCO (One Cancels the other Order) or OCA (One Cancels Another).

Please see our ATM Strategy guide for more information and as Koganam states, NinjaTrader already does this for you: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/advanced_trade_management_atm.htm

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to further assist.
          I see. Thanks.
          Since I am trying to code strategies with your Ninjascript, the ATM might be less useful for me.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJ View Post
            Hello zehua,
            Thank you for your post.

On a second thought, I do think it will be useful to use the ATM order management.
            I am currently using the order management from your code samples here:

The OnOrderUpdate() and OnExecution() methods are reserved for experienced programmers. Instead of using Set() methods to submit stop-loss and profit target orders, you can submit and update them manually through the use of IOrder and IExecution objects in the OnOrderUpdate() and OnExecution() methods. The OnOrderUpdate()

It looks like AtmStrategyCreate will do what I want. However, for the timeInForce field, I can only choose between Day and GoodTillCancel. There is no equivalent to EnterLongLimit() where the order is only good for the current bar, and will be automatically cancelled on the start of the next bar. Why?

Last question: Does IB support NT 7 trading for futures? Or only stocks? I know TD Ameritrader only supports NT 7 for stocks, and clients have to use their own thinkorswim platform for futures.
            Last edited by zehua; 03-17-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Zehua,

IB supports futures as well with NinjaTrader.

Please let me know if i may assist further.
              Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by JGriff5646, Today, 10:02 PM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes
              Last Post JGriff5646  
              Started by AdamDJ8, Today, 09:18 PM
              0 responses