Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFE: Day granularity market reply?

Hi,

I would like to practice using market replay, but I don't plan to trade tick by tick or even intra-day. So I was wondering why I can't practice against historical data, which already has all the bars I need. Currently, I "practice" by running my strategy against historical data, and poring over the strategy analyzer chart to try to project myself to that day, trying to guess how I might have felt if I were watching that latest bar freshly and not knowing what would happen next. This is surprisingly hard to do with the hindsight I already have.

I suppose that fundamentally, I don't understand why NT has to collect the market data and play it back in real-time when the historical data is just sitting there at the data provider's DB--and you have no problem using it in the strategy analyzer and chart display. For someone who plans to trade on a day timescale, the market reply seems to be an overkill. But then again, maybe the majority of the traders trade based on tick-by-tick chart. So I am wondering if I am missing something...

-Henry

Your observations are valid. The Market Replay is more geared towards traders who watch it tick-by-tick. It allows them the ability to forward test there strategies in a realistic manner without needing the market to be live.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It depends on how you're practicing.

If you're using a DOM (depth of market) display, the market replay data must be used as the historical data isn't enough to drive it.

However, I suspect the historical data would be enough for the chart trader if it were designed to work this way.

Comment

We have a Market Replay functionality which is *NOT* to be confused with Bar Replay. What's the difference?

- Market Replay replays multiple markets in unison and in full synchronization with each other
        - Market Replay requires all market data events, ask, bid price and volume as well as level 2 depth
        - To the NinjaTrader core, replay is no different than a real-time connection to a broker or data feed and thus the all aspects of the application function as if it were real-time. This includes are simulation engine

You can't get the above with just historical OHLC data.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
        6 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post RideMe
        by RideMe

Started by tkaboris, Today, 05:13 PM
        0 responses