Historical data storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical data storage

I've noticed that in 'My Documents\NinjaTrader 7\db', there are a few different places where tick data seems to be stored:

-\db\cache
    -\db\tick
    -\db\NinjaTrader.sdf (I actually have no idea if tick data is stored here, I'm just guessing, and the same goes for the file below)
    -\db\NinjaTrader.Old.sdf

Can you explain the purpose of each of these? All I can really tell is that the \db\tick directory is by far the largest, so I'm guessing that's where most of my historical data is stored. If I wanted to back up all of my historical tick data, which of these would I copy? Thanks.

Radical,

I am happy to assist you.

NinjaTrader.Old.sdf is a backup for NinjaTrader.sdf, in case of SQL corruption due to anti-virus software, or some SQL issue. The database stores things like ATM strategies and order history.

\db\cache houses historical chart data, in order to speed up loading charts you normally load. If you notice, they are separated by session template.

\db\tick houses actual tick data, including data that is outside of your normally used session templates. For example, it has ETH data as well as RTH data all together. This is done to limit the amount of data you need to request (for connection optimization), as well as save any data that may no longer be historically available on your data provider's servers.

\db\data houses Market Replay data.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_AdamP; 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Adam, so does that mean I can periodically clear out the \db\cache directory without actually losing any of my historical tick data, but my charts might load slower initially while the cache is rebuilt?

Comment

Radical,

Yes, you could clear out the cache and still have historical data saved. I just performed the step myself and I can verify my historical data is still there.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
        Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

On this subject, if I were to make a copy of my 'db\tick' folder, uninstall NinjaTrader, then re-install NinjaTrader, and paste the copy of my db\tick folder into the 'db' directory, would all of my historical tick data be inserted into NT successfully, or does it not work like that?

Comment

Technically, yes this would work as long as you maintain the original naming structure of this directory.

We do advise making back ups via the built in utility to ensure files and folders get put in the correct location
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks. Would the same thing go for the files in Documents\NT7\Workspaces and Documents\NT7\Templates? I'd be able to just copy and paste them back in after re-installing?

Comment

Yes this is possible. I would only advise doing this if you're unable to create a backup.
                MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by NRITV, Today, 01:15 PM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NRITV
                by NRITV

Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                7 responses