V5 Simulator not retaining open positions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V5 Simulator not retaining open positions

When I closed NT v5, yesterday, I had 1 open position that I was carrying over to the next day. When I started NT v5, today, the Position window showed no open positions. However. a BAsic Entry window did appear but it was empty.

Is this a bug or was this functionality dropped in version 5?

Thanks

imported post

Positions on sim account should be maintained. If they are not, then this is a bug. Can you reproduce the problem and provide exact steps on how to?

Thanks in advance

Comment

imported post

Just to double-check: You did not clear the sim account by Tools->Options->Simulator->Reset, no?

Comment

imported post

No, I did not go into tools and do a reset.

I did in version 5 what I usually do in version 4. I canceled all outstanding orders that did not get filled and closed those Basic Entry windows. This left me with just one Basic Entry window open which is for the open position with a strategy running and a scale in order active. I disconnected from IB and then closed the program. The program asked if I really wanted to exit the program and I said yes. Note: in version 4 I get a shut down message that say that I have X number of open positions and do I still want to exit. I did not get this message in version 5. I have attached today's version 5 log file. There is an entry that states: "12/2/2005 9:08:37 AM|3|4|Unable to restore position for unknown instrument 'HANS Default'". HANS is the stock symbol that has the open position. Not sure why NT thinks the instrument is unknown. I would have expected to see an entry that would have look something like this (version 4 log enteries):

"11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM SYNCHRONIZATION: Your position strategy for NDAQ ID:NDAQ SIM-101 3229392811 was successfully recovered"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM SYNCHRONIZATION: Your position strategy for TNH ID:TNH SIM-101 3259266255 was successfully recovered"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM SYNCHRONIZATION: Your position strategy for RIO ID:RIO SIM-101 3269108241 was successfully recovered"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM SYNCHRONIZATION: Your position strategy for CCJ ID:CCJ SIM-101 3269595272 was successfully recovered"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM POSITION UPDATE: Instrument:NDAQ Qty:400 Account:SIM-101"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM POSITION UPDATE: Instrument:NDAQ Qty:400 LONG Account:SIM-101"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM POSITION UPDATE: Instrument:TNH Qty:300 Account:SIM-101"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM POSITION UPDATE: Instrument:TNH Qty:300 LONG Account:SIM-101"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM POSITION UPDATE: Instrument:CCJ Qty:100 Account:SIM-101"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM POSITION UPDATE: Instrument:CCJ Qty:100 LONG Account:SIM-101"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM POSITION UPDATE: Instrument:RIO Qty:200 Account:SIM-101"
        "11/29/2005 9:18:02 AM POSITION UPDATE: Instrument:RIO Qty:200 LONG Account:SIM-101"

I could attach the NT version 5 log of yesterday which shows the order being placed, the filled and the strategy orders be setup/sent.
        Attached Files

Comment

imported post

scjohn,

Dierk will look into this upon his return. He is currently on vacation and will return early next week. Thanks for providing the additional information.

Ray
          RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

The problem appears to be related to the "HANS" symbol. Can you please send your DB to support (Help->Mail to Support) and refer to this post?

Thanks.

Comment

imported post

Done.

Comment

imported post

Thanks for sending us the DB.

It did not hold the HANS instrument. You need to make sure HANS is registered within the instrument manager.

Note: Dependent on the broker and the status of the broker adapter, there may be "in flight" instruments resulting from positions (a bit hard to explain I have to admit).

Comment

imported post

I forgot to mention: You would get the same problem as you disconnect (having entered HANS in the instrument manager and holding a HANS position on sim account), remove the HANS instrument from the instrument manager and then reconnect.

-> position won't be there any longer

Comment

imported post

The good news - I got NT5 to recover an open position for a new session. NT opened a blank Basic Entry window and I had to select the symbol thru the symbol drop down list box.

The bad news - NT5 did NOT recover the Trading Strategy or the Stop Strategy associated with the open position. NT4 would recover the strategy with the open position. Would not be a problem if NT5 had an option where I could apply a strategy to an open position. At least I can not find that option. And as far as I can tell ther is no way to manually add the orders. That option is available in NT4.

Note: I am using a custom strategy - * Active Straegy 6 - Custom

Comment

imported post

Hi,

I need to have more info so I can test this for myself. Can you provide me with as much info as possible and send it to [email protected]

- What strategy are you using

- What was your connection? Was it Simulated Data feed?

Can you send the email directly from Help--> Mail to Support. That way we will have log files and traces.

Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

I just sent today's log and database to support. Attached is a zip file that contains yesterday's log file and some screen shots. The symbol in question is NDAQ. Note: symbol SNDA is also suppose to have a strategy but the position was opened of Friday and the missing strategy did not show up till Mon morning. NDAQ position was started on Mon and no strategy appeared today (see scrren shots).

Opps. zip file is to big to upload thru forum, will send it to support.

Comment

imported post

Hi John,

Thank you for sending over the required info, I have received it.

Vincent
                          Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
                          11 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                          Started by fernandobr, Today, 09:11 AM
                          1 response