how to connect without ie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to connect without ie

Over the weekend i disconnected my ie (Internet Explorer) from accessing the internet due to security risks and the fact that i don't use it as a browser anymore.
    I know windows (i'm running windows xp) requires it for certain systems to operate hence why i haven't removed it completely.
    Since i've done this i've had to reconfigure my current browsers (Firefox and Opera) to bypass ie and connect to the net via their own proxy servers.
    I had a suspicion that this would affect my ninja from being able to connect to my live data feed... which it did.
    I kept getting a message "Login failed: Unable to login: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure"
    I've since reconnected my ie back for my days trading but was wondering is it possible to set up/ reconfigure ninja for it to be able to connect me to my live data feed without having ie accessing the net?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi iz_sp,

Thank you for your post.

NinjaTrader does utilize IE for its connections settings. Currently there is not a way to setup NinjaTrader to utilize another browsers connection settings.

However NinjaTrader can be setup to utilize proxy settings within IE.
    • Open the file C:\Program Files\<NinjaTrader Folder>\bin\NinjaTrader.exe.config using MS Notepad or any other text editor
    • Replace the text "False" with "True"
    • Save the file
    • Restart NinjaTrader
    LowellSenior IT Manager

Comment

i'll give it a try... thank you.

Comment

When i tried this i could connect to my data feed but unfortunately it wouldn't allow me to trade live... only in sim.
        Was worth a try....

Comment

Hi iz_sp,

Can you please tell me the error you received when attempting to place a live trade?

Looking forward to assisting you further.
          LowellSenior IT Manager

Comment

Sorry, i should've been bit more specific.
            The error i was getting was when i initially opened up NT from my desktop... "NinjaTrader is having problems connecting to its' license servers. Possible problems are a) Your firewall software is enabled and you have not authorized NinjaTrader to access the internet b) Your internet service provider is having service problems or both license servers are down. Please ensure that your firewall software is not blocking NinjaTrader and try again in a few minutes"... once i hit ok NT opened but when it is initializing my live trading box isn't ticked and doesn't light up so i knew it wouldn't let me trade live or connect to my live data feed.
            Once it opens and i go File> Connect>... my live data feed connection that i created doesn't even show up in the list.
            By the look of it NT must require IE to access the net for NT to be able to connect to a live data feed connection.
            Everything else seems to work fine.

Comment

Hello iz_sp,

This is Cameron responding on behalf of Lowell.

Correct, NinjaTrader requires IE to be able to access the internet.

Do yo have custom proxy settings applied to your IE or is this completely blocked by an Anti-Virus or Firewall?

Let us know, as we can assist with settings or ports to forward depending on your setup.

Without being able to access our Licensing servers then you won't be able to connect to your live account because the license dictates the access of connectivity providers.
              CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

No i don't have it blocked by a firewall or anti-virus.
                The way i disable IE is... in IE i've gone Tools> Internet Options> Connections... then where it says LAN settings i've typed in 0.0.0.0 to set up a dummy proxy server to restrict IE's internet access.
                Once i've done this i go into my Firefox... Tools> Options> Advanced> Network... then click settings under the Connection heading and click on "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network" which enables FF to connect to the net because if left on it's default settings it won't. I do a similar thing on my other browser.
                The only problem is, as we've discussed, NT needs IE to be able to connect to the internet... unless there's a way to bypass IE within NT somehow?
                To be honest i'm not really fussed if it can't be done but as i stated in my first post i don't utilize IE anymore except for it running NT.

Comment

Hi zi_sp,

Thank you for the explanation, I now understand how you are disable/blocking IE, however you are correct as NinjaTrader does need IE for connections.

Currently there is no way to connect NinjaTrader to any market without IE also being able to access the internet.
                  LowellSenior IT Manager

Comment

Not a problem.
                    Thank you for all your help anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by iz_sp View Post
                      Not a problem.
                      Thank you for all your help anyway.
                      You can always install a software firewall and allow IE access to only specific ports and/or addresses needed for NT to function, and block IE access to everything else. I do not use the Windows Firewall or IPSec facility, so unfortunately I cannot tell you if they are capable of being so cofigured.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                      Started by benmarkal, Yesterday, 12:52 PM
                      3 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby