Managed automatic shutdown of NT7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managed automatic shutdown of NT7

I am now running my NT instance on a remote VM that may be administered over night, which means recycling the system and installation of patches, updates, etc. This is all done automatically and may cause havoc with NT7. When I have experienced power outages in the past on my physical machine I often had to rebuild the database and even reload chart data in order to get things running properly again. Suffice to say that my indicators are complex ;-)

Anyway, is there a way to properly manage the shutdown procedure? For instance when I do it manually it *always* asks me if I want to save the workspaces. This is something that may hang up an automated shutdown cron job running globally on the virtual machine network in the data center.

Any tips, suggestions, pointers welcome. Thanks!

molecool,

The workspaces part isn't necessarily important if there are no changes to the workspace. As long as the application has closed before the reboot it should have already ceased to have the database open. I routinely shutdown while NinjaTrader is open, it gets closed, and I have not experienced any issues in many many months.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

As a side effect of my ninjatinymobiletrader application there is also added functionality for a programmatic shutdown of ninjatrader.

Start trading with Exness, a leading platform offering low spreads, advanced tools & a wide range of assets. Open your account today!

Andreas

Comment

Hallo Zweistein - wie geht's?

I don't know your app but just FYI - I won't be calling the shutdown myself, it'll be some cron job running the virtual VM farm.

Comment

Adam - is there a way to avoid the 'save workspaces' query? Can that be disabled?

Comment

Hello molecool,

No, I'm afraid that this prompt cannot be disabled.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Kyle - you just love to convey the good news - LOL :-)

What happens to NT when a process tries to stop it and eventually kills it if it doesn't know what to do with that pop up?

Comment

molecool,

This would be difficult to predict. It could cause a null exception possibly if NinjaTrader expects the window to exist, however if its closed properly there shouldn't be any issues.
                Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

when you do this programmatically as I do it in NinjaTinyMobileTrader etc,

there are more popups than just the save/save all /cancel messagebox.
                  Also backup reminder might show up.

Best is to detect those windows and close them programmatically to avoid the Kill process scenario.

Andreas

Comment

Very cool app by the way - I'll pimp it on my blog (evilspeculator.com)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post algospoke  
                    Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred