why doesnt NT understand forex quantities and P/L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why doesnt NT understand forex quantities and P/L

If I try to trade Fx symbol $USDJPY with the Sim101 account using IB feed right now with "200,000" as my order quantity size it is telling me that each pip is worth 1,000. Why does it think this?

How do I make it report proper P/L? I am so confused why this doesn't work out of the box.

Hello volkie,

Thank you for your post.

If trading currencies in NinjaTrader via Interactive Brokers, you will need to change the "Quote currencies (FX) in" property.
    • Control Center > Tools > Options...
    • Click on the Data tab
    • In the lower right hand corner of the Data tab, check the "Quote currencies (FX) in" setting
    • Set this to "HalfPip"
    • Click "OK"

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.
    Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This is already set. Is my question not clear? Is it something to do with the "Point Value" setting for the Instrument? Why is this so difficult. I am very frustrated trying to fight this software to get it to produce correct results so forgive me. The point is 1 pip is not worth .5% of my position, this is clearly wrong. Why doesn't this calculate the P/L properly on a 200,000 lot?
      Last edited by volkie; 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Hello volkie,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Please check your instrument settings for the USDJPY currency pair.
        • Control Center > Tools > Instrument Manager...
        • Type in "USDJPY" to the name field, click Search.
        • Left mouse click the instrument in the grid below, then click on the "Edit" button.
        • Compare your settings with the settings of the screenshot attached, make any changes and then click "OK"
        • Click "OK" on the Instrument Manager

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.
        Attached Files
        Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

These are the same values I already have. Why is 1 pip worth 1,000? This is the part I need explained to me. Have you ever traded Fx? If 1 pip was worth 1,000 on a 200,000 unit lot you would be confused too. This is so frustrating I wish someone would help me get this setup properly.

Comment

Also if I try to place a simple trade for 100,000 USDJPY (a standard lot) your interface asks me if I want to buy 100,000 contracts. Contracts? This is forex not the futures market, why is it thinking in contracts?

Comment

Volkie,

With Forex pairs its not as simply as just a point value for PnL,you needed to have currency conversion for the PnL to show correctly. If you do not have currency conversion you will not get a correct value.

Furthermore if you have manually changed anything in here will give you incorrect values. Reset the instrument manager if you have done any manual changes (Tools->Options->Data Tab->Reset Instrument List)

To check to see if you have had currency conversion applied please check the trade under the executions tab. Specifically you are looking for the RATE column. If rate is 1 then you have not had currency conversion. For a trade I just took on USDJPY I got rate conversion of .0122895.

You needed to have live data stored in NT to allow NT to do the conversion and get it reporting in USD for the PnL value.

I would suggest opening a market analyzer and right click->Add the forex list to the market analyzer. This is sufficient for almost all currency conversion.

There is normally a warning about this when you create the account connection that you would need to do this for currency conversion.

Finally if the above does not resolve, please confirm what QTY sizing you are using and who is your data feed provider as this is futher complicated by this as forex sizing and how you trade them can be different from GAIN to IB for example.

Let me know if any questions.

-Brett

Comment

Thanks Brett,

If I trade through the main control center order tab it seems to calculate PL reasonably and when I exit the trade I see a rate of .01229407 like expected.

If i trade through the Dynamic SuperDOM it does not calculate P/L remotely correctly ($1,000 per Pip) and when I exit those trades it shows rate of 1.

I haven't tried trading through an active strategy on a chart but that is my next step. What am I doing wrong that sometimes P/L looks normal sometimes not? Do I need to keep this Market Analyzer window open all the time?

Comment

You would always want a market analyzer with data in the background for conversion. So you are not looking at PnL in Japanese yen.

-Brett

Comment

Thanks. Any idea on my Dyn SuperDOM question?

Comment

I assumed that occurred as you did not have data to make the conversion.

With a MA up and trade on the dynSuperDOM do you still not get rate conversion? I wouldn't except the order entry window to matter.

-Brett

Comment

Yes still getting this behavior with a MA open in the background. It also isn't charging me commissions.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

I would not expect that and I tested on my side and do NOT see the same.

Can you please send me your workspace via the Control Center->Help->Mail To Support feature and checkmark trace and logs and workspace and reference this forum post URL.

Thank You.

Comment

Sent as requested.

Comment

Originally posted by volkie View Post
                              Thanks Brett,

If I trade through the main control center order tab it seems to calculate PL reasonably and when I exit the trade I see a rate of .01229407 like expected.
                              I have a similar issue and I'm trying to see the "Rate" in the Market Analyzer. I go to add columns, but I don't see the "Rate" listed as an option. What am I missing?

Thanks!
                              Daniel

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DynamicTest  
                              Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                              4 responses