Basic Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Newbie Question

At the risk of sounding foolish, I have what I think must be a very basic question to pose:
    I have been working with the development of a strategy using end of day data. I have found the strategy to be profitable on a 2 or 3 minute chart but not a tick chart--when using the strategy analyzer. If I decide to go live and trade the strategy, will the strategy's trade time-frame (i.e. 2 minute, 3 minute or day chart) be based upon the chart that it is applied to? If not, how would I specify that I want my trades to be based upon, for example, a 2 minute chart?

Thank you in advance,
    Ron

Hello,

Thanks for you post. I am happy to help.

If you apply a strategy in a chart that would be correct; your strategy will be based on what “Data Series” you apply it to. Example: If you have a ES 06-12 (5 Min) chart open and apply your strategy to it; after you selected your strategy you will see in the right panel what “Input series” it is going to be based off. So in this case it would be off the “ES 06-12 (5 Min)”.

You may read more information about “Running a NinjaScriptStrategy from a Chart” at the following link.

Alternatively, you can run a strategy from the “Strategies” tab in the “Control Center”. Once, in the “Strategies” tab you can right click and select “New Strategy” which you can then define all the parameters like the “Strategy Analyzer backtest” method.

You may read more information about “Running a NinjaScriptStrategy from the Strategies” at the following link.

Note that when running a backtest, CalculateOnBarClose(COBC) is going to be always set to true. Which means that the strategy will calculated at the close of each bar. If your strategy is set to COBC=false, then it will act differently since it will be calculated on each tick. See the following link for more info on COBC.

Please be aware of the discrepancies of Real-Time vs Backtest trading in the following link.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your helpful and informative reply.

Comment

You are quite welcome Ron and as always, let us know if we can be of further assistance.
        JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ron - Here's a link for a Real-time to try your strategy

What is the best trading platform? Pick your best trading platform. Trade markets on 50+ trading platforms through AMP Futures. All Demo accounts are FREE!

It's with CQG, 1st-tier, unfiltered data.

Kind Regards,

Jeff Brooks
          312.893.6400 x. 0010
          [email protected]

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby