Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default quantity and # of trades

Hi,

I have an issue with the adjusting of default quantity in the strategy analyzer.
    I run my strategy on $EURUSD and when setting the default quantity to to 1 the strategy runs 368 trades. While increasing the quantity the # of trades drops of dramatically and at around 20 QTY they are down to 4. At 1000 QTY (which I would think is 1 micro lot) only 1 trade is performed. Increasing the QTY indefinitely after this keeps the QTY at 1.

Am i missing some knowledge on how forex lots are used in NT or is the strategy analyzer taking volume into consideration? Or.. what?

Thanks in advance,
    Magnus

Hello Magnus,

Please note when backtesting an automated strategy in the Strategy Analyzer, order quantities will always represent the total units of the base currency being traded. A lot size of one equals a base currency unit of one and DOES NOT equal a typical "standard" lot size of 100,000. Therefore, if you want to trade a standard lot you would use an order quantity of 100,000.

I am not sure why the backtests have different amount of trades. What happens if you backtest the SampleMACrossOver strategy using the same order quantities. Do you see a difference in amount of trades as well?

Do you see justification for the different amount of trades if you check the Chart-tab in the Strategy Analayzer for each backtest?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,

I think I found the problem. I was reusing some code from someone else and in that code (for some account management) the P/L of trades was multiplied by QTY and then also multiplied with Pointvalue which obviously turned out to be huuuuge numbers (multiplying everything by 10000 for EURUSD), so I think it it was some overflow problems.

Thanks,

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
      8 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post rehmans
      by rehmans

Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
      0 responses