Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting an indicator to COBC = false from a strategy

Hi,

Is there a way to force an indicator from a strategy to not calculate on bar close?

I have a multi time frame strategy with 1min bars for entry and 1 tick bars for exit.
    I would like it to exit when the DI+ or DI- plot from the DM indicator is greater than some value.

Currently I can read the values each tick when BarsInProgress == 1 (that's my 1 tick bars) using
    Code:
    DM(BarsArray[0],14).DiPlus[0]
    (BarsArray 0 is the 1 minute chart)

But since the DM indicator defaults to COBC = true the values I get every tick are not updated for that tick. I've tried calling the Update function of the indicator but that does not work either.

Could you please point me in the right direction?
    Cheers!

Hello dpicon,
    If you set the CalculateOnBarClose (COBC) property of the strategy to false then the indicator's COBC property will be also set as false.
    • Right click on the chart
    • In the context menu click on Strategies...
    • In the Strategies dialog select the strategy and click on the New button
    • In the parameter box on the right set the Calculate on bar close to false

Please let me know if I can assist you any further.
    Attached Files
    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Unfortunately that will break all my strategy code, as I will need to calculate things on FirstTickOfBar, and change references to Close[1] instead of Close[0], etc..

Besides, that will make all indicators to COBC = false which might not be very optimal.

Any other way around?

As you already know from the other thread were you helped me a lot (Thanks!)
      I'm using a 1 tick bar data-series to emulate the COBC = false for my exits.
      With that system I change the less amount of code of my already proven strategy and I'll have less problems when doing backtesting later, or so I've read...

Comment

Hello dpicon,
        Unfortunately the indicators COBC will take queue from the strategies COBC only.

If you need to calculate on the FirstTickOfBar, and still need to update the strategy tick by tick then you can refer to this sample code which demonstrates on such lines

Comment

How would I be able to backtest my strategy with the COBC = false?

I thought the only way to backtest something close to COBC = false was to have a smaller time frame like in this example: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=6652

Which is what I'm doing in my strategy, but I need some indicators to recalculate every tick, not every minute.

Maybe I've just missed a point here??

Comment

Hello dpicon,
            Unfortunately during backtesting the values will be evaluated at the end of the bars only (i.e. Calculate on bar close = true).

Intrabar granulation is a workaround for order submission and not for calculating the indicator values.

I will however send your feature request to development for future consideration.

Comment

So if I want to be able to do backtesting I need COBC = true, and if I need real time indicators I need COBC = false.....

Ok, I'll have a look and see if I can hack a way around:

The only way I can think of now, is to recode some of the indicators to accept a parameter that forces them to Update using the 1 min DataSeries instead of the 1 tick dataseries even if they "belong" to the 1 tick time frame...

Comment

Hello dpicon,
                Development has assigned tracker id #688 for your feature request.

Comment

Thanks!

Although I haven't yet look in depth into it, my first impressions are that I can achieve the desired result by attaching a smaller time-frame chart to the strategy (ie. 1 tick chart). Then I'd need to force the update of the 1min chart indicators with the new 1min OHLC calculated using the 1tick update.

Can you point me to a simple way of doing this, or I would need to modify all the indicators to use a custom OHLC data?

Comment

Hello dpicon,
                    What you have suggested is workaround to submit orders (particularly during backtest). Please refer to this thread to know more http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=6652

However the indicators (calculated based on the one minute bar/lower granularity bars) will still be calculated a bar late.

Comment

Well actually what I'm suggesting is to modify the inners of every indicator to use my custom set of OHLC values while we are intrabar. This way I would have COBC = false indicator in a COBC = true strategy.

Comment

Hello dpicon,
                        Unfortunately that is not possible.

The only working alternative is to separate the logic in the FirstTickOfBar which is shown in this reference sample

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                        0 responses
                        1 view
                        0 likes
                        Last Post usazencort  
                        Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
                        5 responses