Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading different time zones

Hi,

I just want to make sure I understand how I should be approaching different time zone trading. I live in South Africa which is in time zone GMT+2. I am looking into trading FESX, Z (FTSE100) and FDAX.

From what I can tell, the time shown on these charts in NinjaTrader will be my local time, correct? Is this regardless of which broker/data provider I use?

My automated strategies all use time filters, so if im back testing strategies against these instruments which are in different time zones should I be offsetting those times according to the instrument im trading?

eg: I want to back test a strategy on the Z and only trade London time 09:00 to 17:00. That means that in my back test I must set up Ninja to only trade 10:00 to 18:00 because London is one hour behind here. Correct?

It's fairly straight forward when doing discretionary trading because I know what time it is. I just want to make sure that when im coding NinjaScript strategies that im using the correct time.

thanks.

Hello DarkPool,

Correct, NinjaTrader uses the time zone of your PC clock to reflect time in charts.
    You do not have to adjust the time filters assuming you configured them as per the time zone of your PC clock.

I believe London is 2 hours difference from your location. I am located in the Netherlands which is UTC +1. I have one hour difference with London.

Yes, you will need to use the time as per your time zone to capture the London session.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

Ok, so are you saying that if I code my system to trade 09:00 to 17:00 and I apply it to an instrument that has a 2 hour time difference to where I am, it will trade 09:00 to 17:00 according to that instrument, not according to my local time?

So basically what that means is that I wont need to change the time filter in my code for every instrument I trade?

Comment

No, it will trade 09:00 to 17:00 as per the time zone of your PC clock. NinjaTrader uses the time zone of your PC clock.

Comment

Ah, ok. So I will need to setup a time filter for each instrument that I trade based on what that instruments time zone is in my time.

thanks.

Comment

Yes, you are correct in understanding.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Barry Milan, Today, 10:35 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Barry Milan