Fastest computer and largest ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastest computer and largest ram

I would like to know if purchasing the fastest computer with best video cards and best RAM would make Ninjatrader be able to handle A LOT of charts with many indicators without freezing or hanging up.

I am considering Top of the Line Computer for handling 4 monitors with about 20 charts running with several indicators

Please advise before I make a mistake

Thanks

PEDRO

Hello Pedro,

Thank you for your post.

A PC with a good amount of RAM and processing will improve the performance of NinjaTrader. However, you still need to consider the amount of indicators and charts open at once. NinjaTrader does not limit the amount of charts and indicators you can have, but if you run into performance items you may need to consider scaling back on the amount of charts and indicators used.
    For information on performance tips for NinjaTrader please visit the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ance_tips2.htm

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      I would like to know if purchasing the fastest computer with best video cards and best RAM would make Ninjatrader be able to handle A LOT of charts with many indicators without freezing or hanging up.

I am considering Top of the Line Computer for handling 4 monitors with about 20 charts running with several indicators

Please advise before I make a mistake

Thanks

PEDRO
      What are you running now that it is freezing or hanging?

Comment

PEDRO, for example i am running a 3960x sandy bridge extreme 12 threads at 5.0ghz, 64gb ram, HD7970 eyefinity graphics card, revodrive 3 x2 pci solidstate drive, windows 7 , with six 27" monitors. it is usable with complex ninjascript - but it is still very sluggish.

I just upgraded to this computer from an older intel duo 2 computer.

I did not get anywhere near the increase in speed that i was expecting in NT7, the computer itself is blazing fast in other applications.

The current version of NT does not scale well with increased computer power - as far as my experience - maybe the next version will.

Just running a ninjascript and kepping your hands off the mouse , the software uses very little resources.

Refreshing a screen while writing code is slow due to the redraw.

Backtesting uses a lot of resources but seems to max out at a bout 25-30% of the available processor -

When writing code i limit my open chart ( 1 second chart ) to 5000 bars if not i will have to restart NT7 as a reload of the script will hang the process as not responding forever.
        Last edited by darkspeed; 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Darkspeed,

Thats exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Your computer build seems as good as it gets (probably better than the one I am considering)

So it seems like you are saying you did not see a significant difference upgrading from an older computer to this rocket ship......

I am truly wondering why you would struggle with such fast computer processing power.....

You mention that there is a new version that would take advantage of faster processing power? Can you please confirm? What does Ninja say about this?

Thanks

PEDRO

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Darkspeed,

Thats exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Your computer build seems as good as it gets (probably better than the one I am considering)

So it seems like you are saying you did not see a significant difference upgrading from an older computer to this rocket ship......

I am truly wondering why you would struggle with such fast computer processing power.....

You mention that there is a new version that would take advantage of faster processing power? Can you please confirm? What does Ninja say about this?

Thanks

PEDRO

The say a new version is coming out at some time in the undisclosed future that will make use of more of the available processing power.

The computer itself is super fast! but not nearly as fast as expected with NT7.

Backtesting it will max out at 25-30% of what the computer is capable of doing.

It almost makes more sense to have one computer for backtesting and one computer for dedicated trading and just dont do anything else on the trading computer.

A lot of it depends on what the computer has to draw/ redraw

I run one big chart ( eyefinity across four screens ) and two screen set up for programming.
            Last edited by darkspeed; 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Im no computer expert but with that beast you may try multiple OS's on the same computer. Kind of a ***** I know but its better than spending all that money again! You would want to consider talking to a technician to see if you could put both computers on seperate monitors and keyboards so their running at the same time.

Comment

Priority Windows Processes Optimization

Hi everyone:

I use this : Process Lasso

Has made my Ninjatrader work more stable and fast, hope it helps somenone.

You have to set Ninjatrader to work in High Priority Process and with this tool you can do it and save it.

It is a process priority optimization and system automation utility. Priority optimization, affinity optimization, core optimization, automated rules, automated power schemes, you name it

So will save and keep that priority rule everytime you execute Ninjatrader.exe

Also a Solid State Disk helps, write/read speed is really fast!!!

Below is answer why this little piece of software helps:

"Windows, by design, allows programs to monopolize your CPU without sufficient restraint -- leading to hangs, micro-lags, and delays in your keystroke or mouse actions. ProBalance intelligently adjusts the priorities and/or CPU affintiies of running programs, on-demand, as-needed so that badly behaved processes won't negatively impact the responsiveness of your PC. ProBalance works by LOWERING the priority of select background processes in high loads, NOT raising priorities."

Trade well !!!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post Jon17
                by Jon17

Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM