Install indicator with NSIS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install indicator with NSIS?

I have a custom indicator that is given out to customers. Having to support and walk them through installing the indicators are a pain.

Is it possible to install an indicator via an installation program such as NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) or other installation program? (I am familiar with NSIS programming, so it's a matter knowing what Ninja needs)

Thanks!
    Daniel

Hello,

Thanks for the note.

Although I have seen other vendors do this and it is possible unfortunately it is not supported.

I'm curious though, what is the part that is a pain with our .zip installer?

-Brett

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
      I'm curious though, what is the part that is a pain with our .zip installer?
      -Brett
      Do you happen to know of other vendor names that do it? Perhaps I can look at what they are doing and figure it out.

As I release new versions, it seems that users can't merely import again. Instead, they have to Remove the assembly, then re-import, then restart Ninja. Often, I find myself having to walk them through it or even remotely connect to their machine to get it setup. With each new release, it becomes a pain to have to do it all over again.

Daniel

Comment

When you do new releases don't rename the exported assemblies .cs files. This way they overwrite when you do the upgrade. If you rename either the .cs file the method names inside will collide and give issues.

Renaming the .zip file is fine though.

-Brett

Comment

When you do new releases don't rename the exported assemblies .cs files. This way they overwrite when you do the upgrade. If you rename either the .cs file the method names inside will collide and give issues.

Renaming the .zip file is fine though.

-Brett
          When exporting, there is a blank for the "Assembly Name" and the "Product Name". It seems the Assembly Name dictates the zip file name and the CS file names.

So, you're saying I should keep the Assembly Name the same, then I can rename the exported ZIP file if I want (while keeping the CS file names unchanged).

What importance does the Product Name play?

EDIT: I'm assuming the Product Name should match my Class name, correct?

Thanks!
          Daniel
          Last edited by neoikon; 05-25-2012, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Yes in the case of protected DLL file then the DLL file needs to be the same so NinjaTrader knows to overwrite instead of add. Which by changing the assembly name NT tries to add a second indicator but the methods inside it are all the same so then you have import problem.

I think the simple solution here instead of building your own installer (Which comes with its own set of limitations and problems) is to keep the assembly name the same with your releases, this will allow overwrite of new versions and no compile issues.

You can change the product and version number as you increment versions. This is just so you can identify your version number on a PC if needed by right click->properties->details tab on the DLL file.

-Brett

Comment

Hello,
              You can change the product and version number as you increment versions. This is just so you can identify your version number on a PC if needed by right click->properties->details tab on the DLL file.
              -Brett
              Thanks! That makes sense.

As for the Product Name, does this also need to match up with the "Module" in the Vendor Licence Management tool? Or, are these two things disconnected?

Daniel

Comment

As far as I know product name does not matter.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
                118 responses
                1 like
                Last Post kevinenergy  
                Started by briansaul, Today, 05:31 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post briansaul