Alternate path to store data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate path to store data

Can NinjaTrader be configured to store data on a different hard drive than my main OS drive. I have a SSD drive that is just accumulating too much data. The data that I am most concern with is Replay level I and level II data, tick data, and historical data.

I would like to route paths to an alternate SSD drive that does not contain my OS.

Thanks

kenb,

Unfortunately this isn't possible currently but I could suggest it to development if you would like.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by kenb2004 View Post
      Can NinjaTrader be configured to store data on a different hard drive than my main OS drive. I have a SSD drive that is just accumulating too much data. The data that I am most concern with is Replay level I and level II data, tick data, and historical data.

I would like to route paths to an alternate SSD drive that does not contain my OS.

Thanks
      My answer in this thread will show you 3 ways in which to do it.

ref: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...45341#poststop

Comment

Thanks koganam

I knew the Documents re-location would work but I wanted to see if NT had addressed this issue yet since there have been so many posts about this issue for a long time.

This obviously has not risen to the top as it should, even though it is a critical issue since most performance computers now have SSD drives for OS and another storage drive for Data. It is a bad pratice and NT should know better NOT to be using system folders to house their Data. Any data storage folders need to be configurable. It's just not that big of a deal to accomplish, Development Department.

Thanks again for your input

Comment

As per koganam's suggestion I did move My Documents location. Connected properly, ran a strategy properly, and ran replay properly. What it wouldn't do is compile a strategy. An error said that the NinjaTrader.Vendor.dll file was missing. I contacted support and they change the C:\ path to F:\ in "references" when right-clicking the strategy.

That worked perfect, no problem compiling. Now my Strategy Analyzer is not working and I am assuming it's another path issue. Anybody had this problem and resolved it?
          Thanks
          Last edited by kenb2004; 06-16-2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

In Control Center menu bar go to Tools > Edit NinjaScript > Indicator
            In the indicator dialog select any indicator and click on the ‘Ok’ button.
            This will open the NinjaScript editor for you :

Right click in the code section of the NinjaScript editor.
            In the context menu click on ‘References’
            In the Reference dialog, if a reference to the noted DLL files exists already then select the DLL’s which are giving errors one by one and click on the ‘Remove’ button.
            After removing, add back the reference with the right path :

In the Reference dialog, Click on the ‘Add’ button.
            Select all the missing DLL’s (located in the Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\ folder or in the NinjaTrader installation folder, typically C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\bin64) one by one and then click ‘Ok’. [Please adjust if needed for 32 bit setup]
            Compile the indicator now by pressing F5.
            The issues should not be resolved and your NT should be again in properly compiled state
            Please also see the section “How to add a reference” from our help guide
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks Mathew

As I mentioned in the previous post, the compile issue is working after doing as you mentioned, but the Strategy Analyzer no longer backtests tick data. Instead of backtesting in progress as usual control panel says:"saving", and never....finishes. The program has to be restarted. I am assuming it can't find the data.
              Are you saying that the C:\Program Files\......paths in references will resolve this Strategy Analyzer issue?
              thanks

Comment

Ken,

As long as they compile, there shouldn't be any other references you need to change.

Please try deleting your tick data and cache and reloading this data.

Removing Historical Data

Once the data has been deleted close NinjaTrader. Open the Documents\NinjaTrader7\db\cache folder. Select all files then right mouse click and select “delete.”

Open NinjaTrader and connect to your data provider. Open an new chart to download the tick data

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Comment

Thanks Mathew

As I mentioned in the previous post, the compile issue is working after doing as you mentioned, but the Strategy Analyzer no longer backtests tick data. Instead of backtesting in progress as usual control panel says:"saving", and never....finishes. The program has to be restarted. I am assuming it can't find the data.
                  Are you saying that the C:\Program Files\......paths in references will resolve this Strategy Analyzer issue?
                  thanks
                  kenb2004, it has been my unfortunate experience to have met what you describe more times that I would have wished. Every time that I have met it, I have had to shutdown and restart NT to continue with my analysis. It seems that occasionally NT Strategy Analyzer takes a walk in the twilight zone. I doubt that it has anything to do with relocation of a system folder.
                  Last edited by koganam; 06-17-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

koganam

Thanks for sharing. I have tried 2 of your 3 ways, both with the same result, a hanging Analyzer. After relocating My Documents back to it's default location the Analyzer worked as normal. When I used a junction point for the db folder, the same hanging Analyzer. When I removed the junction point everything worked as normal. With the junction point I was very surprised since everything should be transparent and no paths should be affected, but obviously not the case.

The obvious solution is a configurable db folder. We'll have to see if NinjaTrader development department agrees that this should be a priority, since most high performance SSD drive are not designed for storage.

Comment

koganam

Thanks for sharing. I have tried 2 of your 3 ways, both with the same result, a hanging Analyzer. After relocating My Documents back to it's default location the Analyzer worked as normal. When I used a junction point for the db folder, the same hanging Analyzer. When I removed the junction point everything worked as normal. With the junction point I was very surprised since everything should be transparent and no paths should be affected, but obviously not the case.

The obvious solution is a configurable db folder. We'll have to see if NinjaTrader development department agrees that this should be a priority, since most high performance SSD drive are not designed for storage.
                      Now that is strange. I cannot remember the last time that I had "My Documents" on the C: drive, and I certainly do not have any problem now with it on the D: drive and the actual data being on a partition mounted in the location.
                      Attached Files

Comment

koganam
                        Which drive do you have your OS and Program Files on?

Comment

koganam
                          Which drive do you have your OS and Program Files on?
                          My OS and "Program Files" folder are on C:. Not that I ever install anything to the "Program Files" folder: I keep my programs on a separate partition from my OS. In fact, NT itself is in this instance, installed on the E: drive, though I have been known to install it on D: at times.

Comment

Hello,

Giving the option to relocate the user data is on our development team's list of future potential enhancements and tracked using ID # 343

Comment

koganam

If my OS and Program Files are located on my C Drive, with NinjaTrader default install to C:\Program Files, and I create a junction point from C:\User\....\db to F:\db, any idea why NinjaTrader can't find my tick data when using Strategy Analyzer?
                              Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post elderan
                              by elderan

Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
                              0 responses