Index symbols for Ninja trader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Index symbols for Ninja trader

MBtrading Demo account and connecting via ninja trader.
    I need to know the symbols for Dowjones, SP500 and
    NASDAQ to use in the Market Analyzer window to know the status of the markets. I tried the ones in MBtrader pro. But getting invalid symbol error.
    I would like to do this either in MA and/or on the corners of chart as a box.
    check the image.
    Could anyone help please.
    Attached Files

Hello kinshin9,

Thank you for your post.

Are you trying to get the index sybmols or the futures symbols? I beleive you want the indices, so I have provided the NinjaTrader symbols for them below:

^DJIA
    ^SP500
    ^COMP

Also, these instruments are already setup in NinjaTrader. Go to Tools --> Instrument Manager --> select "Index" from the "Type" drop down menu and click Search. A list of indices will be displayed below and you can left click to select the ones you want then click the left arrow button below to add them to your Instrument List.

Once added to your instrument list, you can right click in your Market Analyzer and select "Add instrument list" to add the list to your Market Analyzer.

Please let me know if this helps.
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thnx RJ,
      strange thing is if I type em in the MA I can see the data (lastClose,descriptoin) but If I create the List via manager and add then no data. not a issue for now but why ?. And Is there anyway to do this like in the attachment, other than MA ?
      `kin

Comment

It would be possible to display this information in a chart, but it would require custom programming to do so.

What is the exact symbol you are typing into the market analyzer vs adding to the list? Are you using both ^DJIA for example?
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

thnx Mathew,
          it is working now in real time via the list. And could you give a code snippet I could try to display in the chart , that I could add to my custom indicators ? does somthing like this work:
          Instrument name->lastPrice to string and drawText at the RightCorner ?

Comment

You would first need to "Add()" the desired instruments to your indicator

Code:
               protected override void Initialize()
                    {
            	Add("^DJIA", PeriodType.Minute, 1);
            	Add("^COMP", PeriodType.Minute, 1);
                    Overlay                = true;            
            	}
            Once added, you get get the last price of these by uses Closes[x][0]. More information on Closes can be found below:

Then you can use DrawTextFixed to Draw in the bottom right hand corner of the chart. Note that I'm using "If historical return" to ensure that we only calculate on real-time data:

Code:
             protected override void OnBarUpdate()
             {
            if(Historical)
            return;

DrawTextFixed("tag0", "DJIA:  " + Closes[1][0].ToString() + "  " + "COMP:  " + Closes[2][0].ToString(), TextPosition.BottomRight);
            }
            If you have not yet, please make sure to review the information on Multi-Time Frame & Instruments: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nstruments.htm

Comment

thnx Mathew,
              got it. two more things:
              1. I need to find the netChange points that we use in MA columns. Do I need to add periodType Day and do the math for the net change ?
              2. If the Coordinates on the chart filled by the candles (topRight or bottom) , how do I know to change the position ?

Comment

Hello,

Yes, this would need to be calculated to get the net change. I would suggest looking at the existing NetChange indicator to see how this can be done:

I'm not quite following your second question, can you show me an example?

Comment

thanks Mathew, got it. for the second one I'll try to figure it out myself and get back .

Comment

Advance Decline ratio indicator for Nasdaq is ???

Hi All,
                    I want a similar number charted for the Nasdaq that can easily be done

for NYSE using the symbol : ^ADD .

What is it for the similar for the Nasdaq ???

Thanks in advance, Greg

Comment

Hello Greg,

This does not come preloaded in NInjaTrader

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.

From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
                      Press the "New" button
                      *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
                      Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
                      Press the "OK" button

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list
                      Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJ View Post
                        Hello kinshin9,

Thank you for your post.

Are you trying to get the index sybmols or the futures symbols? I beleive you want the indices, so I have provided the NinjaTrader symbols for them below:

^DJIA
                        ^SP500
                        ^COMP

Also, these instruments are already setup in NinjaTrader. Go to Tools --> Instrument Manager --> select "Index" from the "Type" drop down menu and click Search. A list of indices will be displayed below and you can left click to select the ones you want then click the left arrow button below to add them to your Instrument List.

Once added to your instrument list, you can right click in your Market Analyzer and select "Add instrument list" to add the list to your Market Analyzer.

Please let me know if this helps.
                        Hello I am using NT7, I am trying to pull up the sp500 index to compare to my ES. When I go to controlcenter>instrument manager>TYPE it only shows futures.

Is that my data issue, as in I need to make my broker know I want that data? or what is it?

Comment

Hello peregrine,

Thank you for your post. Your data feed may not offer index data. Please provide us with your data provider and I can verify this information for you.

I look forward to your reply.
                          Kenneth D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have Rithmic

Comment

Hello peregrine,

Thank you for your reply.

Rithmic only supports the Futures Instruments class. Please refer to the "Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider" in the following link:

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
                              Kenneth D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post gentlebenthebear  
                              Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes