Backup Internet connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup Internet connection

I would like to set up a back up internet connection in case my primary ISP fails. I'm running Windows7 and have a Verizon Wireless and Cable connection. However, if I unplug the input to my cable modem, my data feed connection fails but does not try connecting via my wireless connection. If I physically unplug my PC, I guess it looses the IP address and then will switch but disconnecting the cable from the modem must keep Windows thinking it has a valid connection but no more data is being transferred.
    Anyone have any tricks within NT or Win7 to use both connections (or attempt the secondary connection) anytime NT disconnects?

How is your vz hooked up?

Usb port?

I don't know if win7 have rollover or failsafe networking.

youll have to research that.

anyways, 3gstore has routers with failsafe and rollovrr.

cradlepoint and i think nexia was the other brand that was supposed to be faster at switching.

Originally posted by Tdschulz View Post
    I would like to set up a back up internet connection in case my primary ISP fails. I'm running Windows7 and have a Verizon Wireless and Cable connection. However, if I unplug the input to my cable modem, my data feed connection fails but does not try connecting via my wireless connection. If I physically unplug my PC, I guess it looses the IP address and then will switch but disconnecting the cable from the modem must keep Windows thinking it has a valid connection but no more data is being transferred.
    Anyone have any tricks within NT or Win7 to use both connections (or attempt the secondary connection) anytime NT disconnects?

Comment

Typically you need a router setup that makes the fail over transparent to windows is normally how this is setup. However I do believe windows 7 will switch to a secondary connection if it goes down but it’s very limited in the types of failures it can cover for. This is largely due to the change in local gateway on your local machine, this makes it hard for Windows to re-route without some more advanced static routing.

Fail over routers or Dual WAN routers usually cover almost all scenarios.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by f.saeidi, Today, 11:02 AM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
      Started by geotrades1, Today, 10:02 AM
      4 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post geotrades1