Copying NT7 Configuration to New Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying NT7 Configuration to New Installation

I have NT7 on my home computer and I just installed it on my laptop; however, I have a lot of data that I've recorded, custom watchlists, custom workspaces, and custom formulas in my Market Analyzer. What is the proceedure for effectively transferring all these customizations to the new installation so that I can use NT7 on the new installation with no glitches.

Is there a portable version of NT7 or can NT7 work well after being made portable with VMWare ThinApp?
    Last edited by StockJock; 06-18-2012, 09:11 AM.

Hello StockJock,

Thanks for writing in.

When it comes to transferring settings from one PC to another, we recommend using the backup and restore utilities.

To create a backup: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...up_archive.htm

To restore settings from the backup: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...up_archive.htm
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
      When it comes to transferring settings from one PC to another, we recommend using the backup and restore utilities.
      Will this also transfer all the indicators and strategies?

Comment

Hello,

If 'NinjaScript files' are included in the backup - yes. Note that some third-party strategies like those you would lease or purchase from a vendor would need to be manually installed on the new PC due to differences in folder structure however.

Comment

The custom Market Analyzer columns that I made didn't transfer and there doesn't seem to be any code for these custom columns in the C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\MarketAnalyzer folder. When I make custom columns in the Market Analyzer, do they get saved as code or do I have to compile them as indicators and save them in the MarketAnalyzer folder?

Comment

Hello,

Have the indicators upon which these columns rely been installed on the new PC? The indicators would need to be present within NinjaTrader before MA columns which call those indicators would load.

Comment

Have the indicators upon which these columns rely been installed on the new PC? The indicators would need to be present within NinjaTrader before MA columns which call those indicators would load.
              Yes they have. The custom MA columns are based on the SuperTrend indicator to change color when the trend changes. The signal values are +1 and -1. Each column uses the SuperTrend in a different time frame.

Comment

Hi,

Does the indicator appear to be available in the Coumns/Indicator menu? Would you, for instance, be able to add a new column of this type?

Comment

Does the indicator appear to be available in the Coumns/Indicator menu? Would you, for instance, be able to add a new column of this type?
                  No it doesn't appear in the Column/Indicator menu. I have to use the generic "Indicator" item from the menu and customize it for this purpose. How do I get it to appear on the Column/Indicator menu?

Comment

Hi,

In order to add an indicator column to the MA, you would need to first select Indicator, then select the type of indicator you wish to apply. Just to confirm, this indicator is available when taking those steps?

If this is the case, do you recall the name of the MA template you are using?

Comment

If this is the case, do you recall the name of the MA template you are using?
                      The template is called "Indicator".

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying.

On your original PC, please shut down NinjaTrader and open the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Templates > Market Analyzer folder. Take a copy of the Indicator file and email that file to yourself.

Back at the newer PC, shut down NinjaTrader and add the file to the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Templates > Market Analyzer folder and restart - the template should at this point function normally.

Comment

I see that there are a lot of types of templates. I haven't used the template feature and maybe I should go over these various types and what they are for. Are there any compatibility issues of these templates with the various versions of NT7? I have an earlier version of NT7 on my pc and the newest version on my laptop.

For that matter are there any compatibility issues for the NT7 backup and restore in the different versions?

Comment

Hello StockJock,

There are no compatibility issues with chart templates in NinjaTrader 7.

Chart templates between NinjaTrader 6.5 and 7 cannot be shared.

If you have version 7.0.1000.2 or lower on the PC and you like to transfer 3rd party add-ons, please upgrade NinjaTrader to the latest version first, before creating a backup file to transfer to your laptop. You can find instructions to upgrade NinjaTrader in such a situation at the link below.
                            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                            47 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post aligator  
                            Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes