EMA in chart is not the same as in MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMA in chart is not the same as in MA

I'm using the daily chart with different EMA's. For the EMA 200 there is a different value in the chart than in market analyzer. Any other EMA value is the same in the chart and market analyser.

I guess the EMA200 in the chart is the correct one. In market analyzer the value of "# of bars to look back" greatly influences the calculated EMA value. Only if setting this to 258 the EMA is the same as in the chart.

So how do I know the correct value of this setting?
    This setting is also rather confusing as there is no help in the box. Usually I would think that for an indicator like the EMA 200 which needs up to 200 bars of look back, the "# of bars to look back" setting should be 200. But even with 256 the value seems incorrect?

Hello symphys,

I tested it on my end and I experience different values initially as well. However once I loaded 1500 days in both the chart and Market Analyzer and set 'Maximum bars look back' to Infinite, it works. Make sure the chart loads 1500 days and set the Market Analyzer to 1500 days as well on two locations. Right click in the Market Analyzer and select 'Properties'. Set '# of bars to look back' to 1500. Do the same for the EMA indicator - set '# of bars to look back' to 1500 as well. This should produce the same values. If less historical data is used, it is not enough for the EMA (200) to have similar values.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jason; 06-19-2012, 03:20 AM.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for your reply. It works.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Tim-c, Today, 02:10 PM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
      Started by Taddypole, Today, 02:47 PM