The power of automated trading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fecdzo View Post
    So you guys say that it is possible to program a strategy and let Ninjatrader earn the money for you while I am working?
    To amplify my previous message, I think it might be possible to program a strategy and let it make money, but I am too conservative to leave a computer running unattended trading my money. Other's might feel differently or have more money to throw away should a bad event occur, but I wouldnt do it, and I personally don't think it is a reasonable goal to try for someone who isn't a master of NinjaScript, (and I am not).

Comment

Originally posted by daven View Post
      For many reasons, (stability of the internet connection, problems with trades not executed, a market condition not anticipated by the code....) I don't think it is reasonable to pursue the autonomous program route and unfortunately the problems, when they occur, do not have to be huge to cause a major hit to your account...
      I had my first near miss myself today...

I woke up this morning and noticed my laptop was dead. The power cord got unplugged somehow and I had an automated forex strategy running with simulated stops.

Luckily the market went my way and the last trade remained profitable, but it could have went either way.

Comment

This is what is possible with 100% automated trading after 3 days of trading (including today). Sorry, I don't have snapshots of previous sessions.

Realized PnL: $3988
        Unrealized PnL: $450

Thursday

Friday

Tuesday

Comment

Nice three day run!
          RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Nice three day run!
            Exactly! :-)

For these 3 days, I only traded 1 lots. Pretty soon, I will kick it up to 2 contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbloomfield View Post
              This is what is possible with 100% automated trading after 3 days of trading (including today). Sorry, I don't have snapshots of previous sessions.

Wow!! Very nice! What about the strategy that you used? Is it a secret?

Comment

The secret sauce is "Volume precedes Price".

Comment

Very nice! I have been trading live with my automated system for 5 weeks now. Similar to you, I trade S&P eminis and use a fairly system based on trend-based indicators. I have a positive PnL, which means my system is valid -- in 3 weeks time, if I am still at PnL > 0, I will begin scaling up my position sizing to reach my ultimate target size.

I took many months to develop an automated system before going live. I found that the toughest part was getting an indicator(s) that actually worked (when combined with appropriate management strategies such as stops) in the backtesting phase...the implementation of automation of the system via NT was at times frustrating but ultimately achievable.

PS. Just calculated my actual PnL for last 4 weeks: $4662.50
                  Last edited by Trevor.Richter; 11-03-2008, 01:03 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Exactly! :-)

For these 3 days, I only traded 1 lots. Pretty soon, I will kick it up to 2 contracts.
                    Any updates please?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor.Richter View Post
                      Very nice! I have been trading live with my automated system for 5 weeks now. Similar to you, I trade S&P eminis and use a fairly system based on trend-based indicators. I have a positive PnL, which means my system is valid -- in 3 weeks time, if I am still at PnL > 0, I will begin scaling up my position sizing to reach my ultimate target size.

I took many months to develop an automated system before going live. I found that the toughest part was getting an indicator(s) that actually worked (when combined with appropriate management strategies such as stops) in the backtesting phase...the implementation of automation of the system via NT was at times frustrating but ultimately achievable.

PS. Just calculated my actual PnL for last 4 weeks: $4662.50

Hello Trevor,
                      I have been looking for a system like yours. Could you share your current results ?

Comment

Originally posted by Profm View Post
                        Hello Trevor,
                        I have been looking for a system like yours. Could you share your current results ?
                        Results for the period Nov 13, 2008 - Mar 20, 2009 are as follows:

Model*: $5,167 (+79.49% ROI)
                        Actual**: $1,375 (+21.15% ROI)

*This is the performance of the system performance when backtested over the same period.
                        **This refers to actual performance in the live market. The difference in ROI is due to 'human factors' such as (1) being out of town and not able to run the system (missed gain of ~$1500); (2) losing network connection with an open order and not being able to close correctly, e.g. because held overnight (caused loss of ~$2K).

Note: Trading is still set at 1 SP500 emini contract. Trading period limited to 9 am-4 pm weekdays only.

Note 2: I am still running this system live in beta using 1 contract. I have refined the system and will look to replace it after beta-testing the new system simultaneously also on 1 contract.

I don't think I will ever replicate the model's performance because there are always going to be issues that create less-than-ideal conditions. However, I started to live-test based on a predicted annualized ROI of ~80% assuming that getting even 50% of that would be a good 'real life' performance (i.e. expected annualized ROI = ~40%).

Would love to hear about others' experiences in 'the real world'!

Trevor

Comment

Losing connection to brokker

A solution to the problem "loosing the connection to the Brokker, and the market goes against me", I would start by initiating the order with a stop lose, so it can't go complitly wrong.

Comment

hey checkout volatility breakout systems
                            had a good run so far...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                            0 responses
                            1 view
                            0 likes
                            Last Post usazencort