Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTH vs ETH and E-mini?

Hello,

Sorry if this turns out to be an inane question, but when trading a system that uses a "Day" chart for the SP 500 E-mini, should the instrument be set for CME RTH or ETH?

Thank you in advance,
    Ron

Hello Ron,
    If the data is pulled from the server then for most providers, Daily data based on the RTH session.

How the running bar (todays bar) will be build depends on what sessions template you have applied.

Its really hard to say what sessions template to use, but ultimately it will depend on your trading style and market conditions to name a few.

Please let me know if I can assist you any further.
    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      Perhaps my understanding of RTH vs ETH is lacking. I was under the impression that RTH referred to regular trading hours, whereas ETH pertains to electronic trading hours( 24 hrs). My confusion lies in the notion that the E mini is traded around the clock, and with that in mind perhaps my understanding of RTH vs ETH is flawed?

Comment

Hello Ron,
        Your understanding is right. ETH is the electronic trading hours (24 hours) while RTH is the regular trading hours.

In this context let clarify again that historical daily data as provided by most connectivity provider is based on RTH sessions only. To build a daily chart based on ETH session you can open a 1440 minute chart (which is equivalent of a daily chart).

What session template you should apply (ETH or RTH) depends on your trading style etc.

Please let me know if I can assist you any further.
        JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you, your suggestion is appreciated.

Ron

Comment

Follow up question

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the thread, it helped me to configue 1440 ETH charts. I just would like to ask an additionnal question about using the 1440 workaround in market analyzer.

My problem is that I have one colum in MA that is a daily CCI and I want it to use ETH for calculation on Close, but now I don't find where to set the trading hours for the input series.

Does anyone know?

Marco

Comment

marco,

The Market Analyzer essentially operates tick-by-tick here, and without a session template.

If you add an indicator column to the Market Analyzer, you can set the data series its based on much like you use the "Data Series" in your chart.

When you add an indicator column to your Market Analyzer, there will be a "Data Series" section in the upper right of the properties panels that allows you to set what sort of "chart" this is operating on.
              Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello AdamP,

I know the market analyser and I mainly useit to see quotes on incoming ticks. It's just that I like to have a cell coloured red when daily CCI is overbought and green whan it's oversold next to the prices. It's kind of a reminder that prices are at extremes when I look at intraday signals.

Everything works well and I normally use the upper right "data series" set to daily. Now when I found out that you can chart daily ETH with the 1440 workaround I thougt it would be coherent to use ETH in the market analyzer. If this is not an option I can live with it.

Yours,

Marco

Comment

marco,

Yes, when you add an indicator column to the Market Analyzer, you can set the "Data Series" to be "Minute" with period "1440".

There is a "Data Series" section.

If you right click > go to "Column" > Select "Indicator", the "Data Series" section is at the top right in the properties panel.
                  Last edited by NinjaTrader_AdamP; 06-20-2012, 03:01 PM.
                  Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Christopher_R  
                  Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                  166 responses
                  0 likes