Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimization for NinjaTrader

Hello Traders!

I am a novice when it comes to Ninja Trader: demo so far, from mid-July by real account, so with real money.

Hardware: Laptop Sony Vaio, 4GB RAM, Intel Core Duo, 2009
    Firewall: WIN 7 32 bit
    Antivirus: Avira Free Antivirus
    Datafeed: Zenfire
    Charts: Tick and Renko
    Router: Wireless connection with good quality
    Internet: download 1772 kbps, upload 224 kbps (no high-spead, but small DSL)

Other open programs:
    Skype, Outlook, Excel, OneNote, Firefox, Windows Explorer, SPAMfighter, Dropbox, Mobile Partner, RIM, TeamSpeak.

Services:
    SPM, SSMM, Java.

Now I have a few questions about the installation and optimization of the Ninja Trader:

1. Avira Free Antivirus: This really affected my data feed? Zenfire? Charting? Data packets? Time delay?
    2. Win 7 Firewall: same questions as above.
    3. Wireless LAN: the same questions as above.
    4. Bluetooth Mouse: the same questions as above.

I'm interested in now is not the recommendations "in everything give up what is not operating system or Ninja Trader", but the actual effects / changes that I get when I delete these four functions, as well as the "unnecessary" services, and my programs that I the same need - on the same laptop. I am not interested to buy a second computer.

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Rainbowtrader
    Last edited by Rainbowtrader; 06-26-2012, 02:12 AM.

Welcome to our forums Rainbowtrader.

1. See if you can turn of the realtime stream filtering
    2. Should not have much impact, but if you're router has a good firewall build in, likely duplicate efforts.
    3. We would suggest using a cable based connection for optimal results
    4. Should be fine
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Bertrand,

thanks for the friendly welcome!

Is it to what you have written, accurate information? I would like to understand the real effect of the difference I can see so far not discovered or if I turn off the firewall or antivirus. Something measurable and tangible.

Thank you!

Best regards,
      Rainbowtrader

Comment

Accurate based on my own experience, I could not give you any comparable testing result unfortunately, best would be you run your own comparisons to reach the conclusions then seeked.

Comment

Hi Bertrand,

have you got an idea, what is the way to test the differences, if I have only one computer and not a perfect clone to compare both ways? Tests with a ping to xyz? Benchmark-tool? Compare realtime the market with a browser or tv or whatever?

Do I see differences on a tickchart, if I use cable and no antivirus and loading new historical data? Then I can test this with screenshots for comparing. But I doesn't see timeshift-differences.

Best regards,
          Rainbowtrader

Comment

Rainbowtrader, I would not think historical data loading would have much impact, the critical areas would be realtime delays and general network stability. I remember being impressed by recent WLAN Router advances in technology, but over time I still migrated everything back to a cable (over power outlets) based network that delivers better and more predictable performance.

Ping tests to your broker / exchange for example at various intervals throughout the day would be a good test.

You can also compare realtime tickcharts to reloaded ones from the server, granted those are not expected to lineup a 100% however you would see if a setting increases differences too much.

For the mouse, the advantage for cable driven ones is definitely that you dont end up on low battery on a Monday morning...but newer wireless ones have more efficiency.

Comment

Hello Bertrand,

okay, I will check this informations from you in the next time, when I am back at home.

Have a good time!

Best regards,
              Rainbowtrader

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post tradingnasdaqprueba  
              Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM