Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Best Way to Monitor Multiple Instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Monitor Multiple Instruments?

I trade multiple instruments. I'm new to NinjaTrader and wondering the best way to monitor 6 instruments.

I have a workspace set up for one instrument and want to use those settings on all the others. However, whenever I try to do a "save as" to a new workspace with a new instrument and then open it, the original (and all others I create) reverts to the last instrument viewed. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

However, maybe different workspaces (assuming I can fix that issue) isn't the best way of doing this. Does anyone have a good workflow for their trading routine in trading multiple instruments where i can quickly switch between them?

I have 5 charts for each instrument and thought about loading all of them in one workspace but that would be 30 tabs and I'm not sure if that is the best way?

thanks for any help
    Richard
    Last edited by tradewins; 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM.

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the NT forums! We're considering adding tabs in a future version. Thanks for offering your feedback here.

If you are only looking at one instrument at a time, what may work best is having a market analyer window linked to charts. The market analyzer can be used as a list and when you click on an instrument, it will change this for all linked charts. A video showing this in more details is available here:
    Using Market Analyzer to Change Charts
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Ryan! I will check it out. Much appreciated.
      Richard

Comment

Ryan,
        I tried the instrument manager and it's fine for a quick look. However, I have a workspace with 5 charts, indicators and strategies set up and there's no way I can figure to bring any of that into the analyzer. Is there a way to have multiple charts and import settings on the analyzer.

I've finally figured out that my settings will stay on the workspaces IF I "open" them each time and completely reload the data. If I switch between them in the workspace menu then it carries over the instruments and messes it all up. Is this something that I'm doing wrong? Is there a way of making the open workspace the same instrument as it's supposed to be without it changing all the charts to the last workspace I had open? Reopening workspaces takes forever to load sometimes and I just don't' get why this is happening.

thanks
        Richard

Comment

Understood -- Market analyzer isn't a charting substitute. The idea used in the video is Market analyzer linked to 1 or more charts. You can then just click on any instrument in MA screen and then it changes all charts with the linked color. If your workspaces have the exact same charting setups except you only need to change instruments, this would help you. More info on window linking is available here as well:

Workspaces save the state of the layout at the time you click the Save or Save as button. This includes which instruments are applied to the chart at the time it's saved. You can learn more about workspaces here:
          Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Issue Resolved

OK. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and wanted to post this in case anyone else may do this. I had an instrument all set up with charts, indicators, strategies and wanted to create a new workspace using that space as sort of a template. I changed the instrument to the desired one and did a "save as" and created a new workspace. Great. Trouble is the instruments would flip flop all around whenever I pulled up an open one from the menu.

What I forgot is that evidently charts can be linked across workspaces! When I changed the link color of the charts in the new workspace to their own unique color the issue of it "reverting" to the other instrument went away.

It appears there must be a limit on how many workspaces one can have open then if linked charts are desired.

Simple and pretty obvious now but drove me crazy for a few hours. At least I assume this was the issue as it's working fine now.

thanks
            Richard.
            Last edited by tradewins; 06-29-2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

i just discovered how to add multime instruments/timeframes into a single chart... i was using 4 charts for different time frames. I am curious if these "panels" in the chart can be ordered to tile rather than a horizontal file?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your note.

At this time the additional data series panels are only ordered horizontally.

I will forward this message to our Development Team to consider for future versions of NinjaTrader.
                CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cameron View Post
                  Hello,

Thank you for your note.

At this time the additional data series panels are only ordered horizontally.

I will forward this message to our Development Team to consider for future versions of NinjaTrader.
                  ok thanks, guess its back to 4 windows

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                  5 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                  Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes