Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

error message when trying to connect to a instrument

hi,
    i am going live for the first time with NT and IB... I have set up everything correctly it seems by following the connection guide. My NT platform is connected and will display ORLY and BAC feed... but when I try to put FB into another chart I get this error message.

First message "Unable to subscribe to market data. Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the instrument manager FB default"

Second message " Error on loading chart data for 'FB Default': Unable to change order. Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the Instrument Manger FB Default"

But I can load the FB in TWS no problem.

How do I rectify this problem..?

Thanks for your help

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This message indicates that the instrument's exchange setting is incorrect. Please open the Instrument Manager (Tools > Instrument Manager), select FB from the list on the right, then click Edit.

In the Instrument Editor, enable the correct exchange for this instrument - NASDAQ.

Click OK to save your change, then re-add FB (with the NASDAQ exchange) to your Default instrument list by following these steps: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ment_lists.htm

Finally, open a new FB chart and data should load.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
      Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This message indicates that the instrument's exchange setting is incorrect. Please open the Instrument Manager (Tools > Instrument Manager), select FB from the list on the right, then click Edit.

In the Instrument Editor, enable the correct exchange for this instrument - NASDAQ.

Click OK to save your change, then re-add FB (with the NASDAQ exchange) to your Default instrument list by following these steps: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ment_lists.htm

Finally, open a new FB chart and data should load.
      Do i need to do this for every symbol that I try to type into a chart? why wouldn't the the platform know what exchange the instrument is in automatically? I only have a hand full of instruments in the default list anyway. and never edited the exchange for any of them.

Is there a problem with the NT platform?
      Thanks

Comment

Hello,

You'll need to make this type of change whenever you see the error message you'd mentioned.

There is nothing wrong with NinjaTrader itself, the instrument FB is simply not included with NinjaTrader by default (as of the current release). Those instruments which are added to NinjaTrader must be configured correctly before data will become available.

Comment

one thing I did that seem to help is to take it off the default list that I had in the instrument manager to just nasdaq and it seems to be working better when I want to change a chart from symbol to another symbol. But if I do this It seems as though I will have to switch from exchange to exchange just to sisplay the data of symbols in different exchanges, is this true or can I set it up to load data from any symbol no matter the exchange location. because NASDAQ Exchange wouldn't load AME which just gapped down at the open from 50 dollars to under 34 dollars and I would like to watch the chart at the same time Im looking at other symbols like ORLY and FB at the same time.
          How do I set that up accordingly?

Thanks for you help.

Comment

Hello,

Exchange must be configured on an instrument-by-instrument basis when adding symbols to NinjaTrader's database. There is no global chart exchange setting. This being the case, when you switch from one instrument to another you'll also be switching to another exchange.

Comment

in paper trading it never had a problem finding the exchanges. now live it seems to not recognize any symbols... Its not like I'm entering in instrument symbols that are all brand new to the market. So why do I need to do this for every symbol now that I'm connected to a live account?

Comment

Hello,

Insofar as this exchange setting is concerned, there is no difference between the simulated environment and a live environment Any symbol which is pre-included with NinjaTrader (AAPL or ES 09-12 for example) should function without needing to make any changes. Any instruments added to NinjaTrader, such as FB in this case, do need to be configured correctly before data will become available.

Comment

well I just typed GRPN, AME, RSX, AMPE, BBH, VXX and the list goes on... I shouldn't have to edit exery single instrument in the intire market just to view it in a chart, should I? thats why I ask is there something wrong with they platform, "meaning maybe a setting not being correct... I love NT platform I would think of going live without it... I do however feel like its too time consuming to edit that many instruments.

Thanks for your continued help! ( not trying to be difficult here)

Comment

Hello,

The instruments which you've mentioned are not included in NinjaTrader by default and therefore would require manual configuration.

Comment

WOW!!! then how could the instruments have been in the NT system for simulation.... and not in live configuration? Guess thats why I felt I shld seek help! seeing how that doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Hello,

Based on your description you were using the Simulated Data Feed connection, is that accurate? This simulated feed provides fake data and does not require that an instrument be setup correctly, A live connection to IB does require that instruments be properly configured before data is available.

Comment

that being the case is there a way to export a list all at once or do I need to take the time individually for each instrument

Comment

Hello,

It is possible to import a list of stocks - please see the following link for more information: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stock_symb.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by funk10101, Yesterday, 09:43 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                            Started by TheWhiteDragon, 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes