Incorrect AvgPrice on Entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect AvgPrice on Entry

Please see the attached gif file to illustrate this issue.

When entering a new position from a flattened state on the Sim101 account, the AvgPrice is not correct, and is almost 10 points off. This results in erroneous PnL information while still in the position.

I did receive an error when entering the position: "Order has exceeded available account equity. Please reduce order size...". If this is causing the problem, shouldn't ninja recognize this condition and still be able to calculate an avg price based on the contracts it allows to enter the position?

Would this behavior be the same in a live account?

It's very confusing to see the average price and PnL so far off when trading using chart trader.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions you may have.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RogBear; 07-11-2012, 12:22 PM.

Hi RogBear,

Best would be to retest this same scenario while having sufficient account balance in your sim account. Resetting a simulation account will clear all historical trade data from this account. Please follow the instructions below to reset a simulation account.

From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Options
    Select the "Simulator" tab
    Press the "Reset" button

Positon average price can vary based on this setting under Tools > Options > Data tab. I suggest trying with that setting on / off to see the impact when scaling into positions.
    Use FiFo for Position Average Price calculations.

We can check your diagnostic files to see the sequence that lead to this: Please send using Help > Mail to support feature and include reference to this thread.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Ryan,

I did not mean to imply that I ALWAYS get the wrong entry (avg) price. As far as I know, it only happens when I try to trade too many contracts for the account and get that error. I was wondering if the same thing would happen in a live account, since in my mind, that could be dangerously misleading. I will send the log files in case they help.

Comment

Thanks. I'll see if I can reproduce that here with insufficient sim balance. If it only happens when you run out of sim money, it's not the type of issue you would see in live trading.

For live trading unrealized PnL we rely on the execution prices reported by the connection API. We aren't aware of any current issues in this area. Some providers do supply the position average price value (seen on positions tab).
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 07-11-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sending in your diagnostic files. This happened after the rejection, and then you reset your sim account. Basically, if you run out of sim balance, then you can't rely on any of the reporting unless you start completely over, by resetting trade history.

I suggest providing sufficient value in the initial cash value field under simulator options so that you're less likely to run into this.
          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
          16 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Leafcutter  
          Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
          2 responses