MBT - Trailing Stop Behavior Resulting in Multiple Commissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBT - Trailing Stop Behavior Resulting in Multiple Commissions

I just started trading with MBT today and noticed some odd behavior with an ATM Trailing Stop with one block of 2000 shares. When the stop executed to close full position the shares were sold in smaller orders at the broker/exchange and NT appears to have added the ATM Trailing Stop to every order resulting in multiple commissions (one for each order). Does this have something to do with simulation?

Hello,

The commission are simulated based off the local NT settings and are tied per execution event. In the case you receive a partial fill which results in multiple executions, you will see the commissions reflected for each execution. This is a limitation of the simulated commissions and improving this behavior is on our development team's list of future enhancements.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by LeeMellinger View Post
      I just started trading with MBT today and noticed some odd behavior with an ATM Trailing Stop with one block of 2000 shares. When the stop executed to close full position the shares were sold in smaller orders at the broker/exchange and NT appears to have added the ATM Trailing Stop to every order resulting in multiple commissions (one for each order). Does this have something to do with simulation?

Set your commissions directive properly to "per share" and no minimum.

Comment

I'm referring to actual commissions charged by the broker. Meaning, the literal charges accessed by the broker (real money). Not simulated. Appears to only be triggered by an ATM trailing stop with MBT. IB did not do this. I suspect simulated OCO logic, though I'm not certain. I'm still investigating.

Comment

Hello LeeMellinger,

Orders can execute in partial executions. NinjaTrader does not have any effect on the execution of orders - orders execute as per market dynamics. I am not sure how commissions are setup as per your MBTrading account. However it seems to calculate commissions for each partial trade instead of one commission for the entire trade. I suggest to contact MBTrading for clarification regarding the commission structure of your account.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by LeeMellinger View Post
            I'm referring to actual commissions charged by the broker. Meaning, the literal charges accessed by the broker (real money). Not simulated. Appears to only be triggered by an ATM trailing stop with MBT. IB did not do this. I suspect simulated OCO logic, though I'm not certain. I'm still investigating.
            Hm. I believe this is what you asked: "Does this have something to do with simulation?" Simulation does not come into real money trading. That is why I did not realize what you meant. My apologies.

Comment

You're correct. After doing some checking MBT is not charging for each partial fill. However, the main issue was that a trailing stop loss was apparently attached to each partial fill and I'm still checking to see if these trailing stop losses will trigger separate charges since they are really separate orders on MBT. I sent in the log from yesterday to support. I'll get back to you on the trailing stop loss issue.

Comment

And two years later it still calcs a commiss for each partial fill , which totally screws up the PnL and % correct vs. % incorrect trade calcs. Might as well just do all the calcs manually in an Excel spread sheet for all the good this program is.
                Last edited by bortz; 01-30-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Hello bortz,

Thanks for your reply.

This is how NInjaTrader is designed to work as how this functions can very per broker. Since partial fills are separate executions they are counted as having separate commissions.
                  BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Brandon. It just isn't realistic as brokers aren't going to charge you a one way commiss for each partial on the way to filling your 2000 lot for example. it just took me 13 partials to fill a 2000 lot and TDA commiss on that at 9.99 per partial is a total profit killer as far as a Pnl calc is concerned. The only work around is to set a one way trade cost to like .50 cents as a type of compensation for the program error. But it's still way off and renders the entire record keeping process as useless.

Comment

Originally posted by bortz View Post
                      Thanks Brandon. It just isn't realistic as brokers aren't going to charge you a one way commiss for each partial on the way to filling your 2000 lot for example. it just took me 13 partials to fill a 2000 lot and TDA commiss on that at 9.99 per partial is a total profit killer as far as a Pnl calc is concerned. The only work around is to set a one way trade cost to like .50 cents as a type of compensation for the program error. But it's still way off and renders the entire record keeping process as useless.
                      How have you set your commission structure in NT. Would you mind sharing a picture?

Comment

Hello bortz,

Thanks for your reply.

Your feedback will be taken into consideration however this will be how NinjaTrader 7 will function. I agree that to get the commissions you are looking for it will be best to do it in Excel or to look at your brokerage statement.
                        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                        24 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post spwizard  
                        Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes