Market replay for 1 hour charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market replay for 1 hour charts

I have downloaded about a month and a half of market replay data. I want to use an hourly chart. However, the replay data will only go back about a day. I need a lot more bars than this to test strategies on hourly charts. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi chartish,

You can adjust the from and to dates to make sure your market replay range includes all the data you want. In the player controls: Right Click > Available Data to see what market replay data you have. Market replay data is only the tick by tick playback (not historical data), so you have to hit play somewhere you have data to see it playback.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This is what I just did - I entered 6/4/2012 - 7/13/2012 in the from to window. I then right clicked on From to see available data and I have data from 6/4 - 7/10. I right click on From, select Goto and enter 6/8/2012 4:00 pm. The chart is set for 3600 seconds. I see bars back to 00:00 on 6/08 but nothing before.

Comment

The chart is set for 3600 seconds. I see bars back to 00:00 on 6/08 but nothing before.
        This would require historical data. Who is your historical data provider?

Comment

I use the free Kinetic EOD.

So market data replay is only good for a day at time? Not complaining, just asking.

Comment

With kinetick end of day free, you can chart historical daily+ charts. Intraday data is available with a subscription. Market replay is only the simulated real time playback, but you can playback multiple days at a time.

This link here will break down where you could get historical intraday data from (Expand top section): If you are charting seconds, you would need a provider that offers historical tick data.

Comment

I think I understand. BTW, your product rocks. I am a retired C++ programmer who likes to write my own indicators and Ninjatrader is great for that.
              Last edited by chartish; 07-13-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

when i dowload and then connect to market

and then connect to market replay connection ,i dont get the lil winodw that allows me to activtae the chart and control the speed etc

Comment

I got the chart to work. Basically I have to let the chart run for a while to get enough bars to test my strategy.

I would like to make a recommendation for future development. When selecting market replay and the user picks a date between the start and end dates, backfill the chart. The data is there, it just needs to be displayed. Letting the chart run, even at 500x, takes time to get to where I want to be in the chart.

This goes along with a recommendation I already saw in another post to allow downloading multiple days of market replay data. I had to download about 7 weeks of data one day at a time. The dialog box goes away each time and I have to bring it back up and refill the info before downloading again. A quick fix for an interim release would be to leave the market replay download box up and filled with the our selection of instrument so all we have to do is change the date and click download.

Thanks for the great software.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, chartish. We have assigned this ID # 1135 in our enhancement list.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post WHICKED
                    by WHICKED

Started by FrazMann, Today, 11:21 AM