Chart not plotting with simulated data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart not plotting with simulated data

I'm new to NinjaTrader and am currently trying out the platform using a simulated data feed for ES 09-12. Over the past week or so I've used it twice with no problems. The simulated data has run for 4-5 hours with several indicators (Bollinger, MACD, Vol, etc.). Most of the settings I've left at the default values.

The second time I used the simulated data, it appeared to "stall" for about 10 minutes but then "came back". Everything appeared to be okay except for the jump in the time stamp.

Today, I started the data feed like usual, it ran for about 20 minutes then "stalled" again but this time it didn't come back. I have tried re-starting NT (several times), selecting different markets, changing some of the settings, re-starting the computer......nothing has worked. I reviewed some of the other feeds and tried re-compiling but that didn't produce any errors. The rest of the forum questions seem to be more applicable to custom indicators or issues with the feed from live providers.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide if I'll be moving forward with NT which I like so far but glitches like this that can cost me money definitely do not make me happy.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Elysium,

The simulated data feed isn't real market data, its just randomly generated to sort of approximate market data on your PC, a real time connection would behave a bit differently. One thing to note here is that it will still use the session template that your chart is setup to use, so if you are using this on a weekend and your session template doesn't have the weekend included it won't display this data on your chart.

Please right click your chart > go to "Data Series" > Set "Session Template" to "Default 24/7". Then, please let me know if you still have the issue.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi AdamP,

I realize that the data I'm working with is simulated. My concern is that NT appeared to be working fine (for the most part) the other 2 weekdays (and evenings) that I tried it and failed on the 3rd weekday (Friday).

Following your directions below, I couldn't set the session to "Default 24/7" (it was set to "<Use instrument settings>" and "Default 24/7" was not a listed option) but through Tools --> Session Manager I verified that "Default 24/7" was selected there (a setting I haven't changed).

Note that other features appear to be working (i.e. both SuperDOMs, Market Research)....it's just the chart that is blank (and stays that way) except for the scale on the right hand side.

Still need help.....

Comment

Elysium,

If you right click your chart > go to "Data Series" > The "Session Template" field doesn't have the "Default 24/7" option at all? There should be a up and down arrow on a scroll bar you can scroll through all the different session templates.

In 90 percent of cases the issue you describe is due to the session template setting. Since it's the weekend, and the default templates used in "use instrument settings" don't include weekends it wouldn't be plotting any incoming data to your chart.

We can assist you further at support at ninjatrader dot com if you prefer.

Comment

AdamP,

I finally did find the "Default 24/7" in the Session Template Options (I think a combination of scrolling through the list too quickly and it being the middle of the night screwed me up....my bad!).

The chart is plotting now (Thank you!) but I'm still a little confused. I'm working with the same Sample, I never changed the Session Template setting before and I always starting testing late afternoon until past 6 or 7 pm. If there was some other setting I could have changed somewhere else that would have affected that, let me know.

Also, was the Session Setting I verified from the Tools menu the same setting (but maybe just didn't have an effect on the chart) or do I have to verify the Session Setting from the specific chart I'm using?

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Elysium,

I am not sure why the behavior changed. Were you using some older templates?

If you set your session template to what you want and then save the Workspace it should pull up the proper template the next time you use it.

Comment

Just FYI, I did go back and check my templates (I had 3) and they were all the same with respect to the Session Template so I have no idea what happened....I'll just chalk it up to "that weird thing that happened"!! All that matters is that everything is working great now!

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Eurex data ?

I am using a demo and datafeed seems to work fine for USA markets but chart will not update for FDAX or any of the markets on Eurex. Is this normal ? Is the "demo/datafeed" not going to work for Eurex markets ?

Comment

traderx,

It depends on what data provider you have, however most demo connections will not include all the markets that a regular connection would offer.

If you need supplementary data here, you could get a kinetick subscription.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                  Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes