How to manage a lost connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to manage a lost connection?

I am sure a lot of us face similar situation. So, this friday before the market close I bought 1 ES and 1 CL contract at 1368 and 89.53 respectively. On Saturday we had a power cut and my ATM strategy was turned off as a result.

For the orders that the strategy placed on Friday following are the profit target and stop loss.
    Profit Target Stop Loss
    ES 1423 1361
    CL 92.23 82.29

I restarted Ninja Trader this afternoon on Sunday (before the market re-opens) and I was able to see the above stop loss and profit loss orders under the 'Orders' tab. Please see the attached picture.

I also restarted the strategies by right clicking on the respective charts and again attaching the picture of the current 'Strategies' tab.

The thing that threw me off was the 'yellow color' of the strategies. The question is: Will the above stop loss and profit target orders be still in effect when the futures market re-opens on Sunday evening?

I am also attaching a picture for the options that I have selected for Ninjascript under the tools menu. It is set to 'wait until flat before executing live'.

Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Hi Pandyav,

I absolutely made the same experience regarding over weeking sessions. In my case when suffering a connection interruption I have to reset all my strategies again but former positions from Friday are still running. If I set up all strategies again the former positions are remaining blank without any protection (stopp loss) which is unacceptable.

I also wonder how to backup running strategies/position if a break down of the OS or even of the entire PC occurs. Is there any possibility to EASILY connect still running positions to another PC with the same NT7 strategies by refering e.g. to the execution.ID?

Best regards,

Rob
    Last edited by Robertp75; 08-05-2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

pandyav, if you work with WaitUntilFlat the outcome would be expected - if you restart the strategy in this mode, it would recalculate it's historical position and wait until the open trade (coming from historical) is in a flat state (so exit triggered) and then continue taking live generated signals. If you wish to reissue exit orders for the historical monitored position, please work with 'Immediately Submit'.

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I don't hold overnight or weekends for this very reason.
        Obviously that is not a helpful reply as you want to.

Even for my intraday strategy, I encountered the yellow strategy tab quite
        a few times (not Ninjas fault in anyway I have to say).

My cure:
        UPS or laptop (battery acts like UPS in event of power failure).
        3G dongle or UPS for network equipment.

Then, in Ninja:
        Tools > options > strategies > ninjascript >
        On connection loss:
        Disconnect delay seconds = 10
        Number of restart attempts = 40
        Restarts within x minutes = 15
        Handling = keep running
        -------------------------------------------------------
        On starting a realtime strategy:
        Wait until flat or immediately submit live working historical orders is your choice as covered by NinjaTrader_Bertrand.
        -------------------------------------------------------

Using all those methods to avoid power and connection loss has resulted in
        me not having a single yellow tab due to connection loss in over 9 months.
        Obviously my window for power failure is smaller due to no overnight or weekend holds.
        Hope that helps : )
        Last edited by Obsidian; 08-10-2012, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post tradingnasdaqprueba  
        Started by aa731, Today, 02:54 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post aa731