Back Test Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Test Assistance

I must admit, it's been quite awhile since I've used the Strategy Analyzer, as I like to use Market Replay to run my strategies on so that I may watch the market unfold. Now however, I would like to use the Strategy Analyzer again to save some time, but I can't seem to get it to show any trades.

I ran it for yesterday and it showed in the status bar of the control panel that it was running the backtest, but no results. However, when I run the same strategy in Market Replay for yesterday it shows trades. I checked the dates and trading symbol in the backtest settings and they are correct. Could you suggest something else I could check?

Thanks,

Safetrading

Hello Safetrading,

Thank you for your note.

Does your strategy incorporate the use of ATM Strategies to manage the position?

When you run the Strategy Analyzer is there any item in the Orders tab?
    CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

No transactions appear in the orders tab andf no, I'm not using any ATM strategies in my strategy, although I have my "SetStopLoss" in the OnBarUpdate rather than in the Initialize section.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cameron View Post
      Hello Safetrading,

Thank you for your note.

Does your strategy incorporate the use of ATM Strategies to manage the position?

When you run the Strategy Analyzer is there any item in the Orders tab?

Comment

Hi SafeTrading,

The next step here is to debug your strategy, by printing to confirm values and follow code flow. Use TraceOrders output to check for messages related to strategy order submission.

See here for more info on Debugging your NinjaScript code.

It may also help to add drawing objects to your chart for signal and condition confirmation - Drawing Objects.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm happy to look for my own errors, but as I mentioned previously, the strategy worked in Market Replay for the same day. I was under the assumption that if the strategy worked without errors during Market Replay, that it should also work in the Strategy Analyzer for a back test. Is this assumption incorrect?

Thanks,

Safetrading

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
          Hi SafeTrading,

The next step here is to debug your strategy, by printing to confirm values and follow code flow. Use TraceOrders output to check for messages related to strategy order submission.

See here for more info on Debugging your NinjaScript code.

It may also help to add drawing objects to your chart for signal and condition confirmation - Drawing Objects.

Comment

Originally posted by safetrading View Post
            I'm happy to look for my own errors, but as I mentioned previously, the strategy worked in Market Replay for the same day. I was under the assumption that if the strategy worked without errors during Market Replay, that it should also work in the Strategy Analyzer for a back test. Is this assumption incorrect?

Thanks,

Safetrading
            What time frames are you using in market replay that produces trades and the analyzer?

Are you doing anything special in your strategy?

Comment

Originally posted by safetrading View Post

Thanks,

Safetrading
              Not necessarily, replay is live data, backtest is historical data.

Comment

Edit Strategy Problem

Hello,

I am new and I do apologize if this was already talked about and I missed it.

I am trying to back test a strategy that will buy 5 ES contract in 2 separate orders (Signal Name: Long3 and Long2).

The reason is that I would like to get a profit target for 3 of the contracts and let the other 2 continue until other conditions present themselves.

The Strategy Analyzer does execute the Long3 but not the Long2.
                I have also tried using a different set in the Edit Strategy Console to try and get this scenario to work.
                However either way (Enter Long3 and Long2 in the same set or 2 different sets), only Long3 executes during the backtest and not Long2.

Is there any known reason for this?

Thanks in Advance.
                Anthony

Comment

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for your note.

Could you provide a sample of your code for when Long3 and Long2 are supposed to enter the market?
                  CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                  47 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post aligator  
                  Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes