Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with only 1GB of RAM

Hi guys

For a short time, I'll be running NT7 on another PC. The trouble is, I think this PC only has 1GB of RAM.

Now, I won't be trading from it and I'll only need one chart open at a time.

All my time on this PC will be spent on working on NinjaScript and strategies. (I realise that I may not be able to use Strategy Analyzer.)

Even though NT may be sluggish, should it at least work, so far as working on NinjaScript and compiling are concerned?

(This will be the only instance of NT running and I'll close down all other programs.)

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Hi arbuthnot,

Thanks for writing in.

While this setup wouldn't meet our minimum system requirements, I'd expect that the software will run on this setup - the software will likely be a bit slow due to the lower availability of memory however.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks very much, Kyle, for that reassurance.

Much obliged.

Comment

What make/model/brand?

Surely we could find some memory online for you.

Crucial.com should have a memory selector.

Originally posted by arbuthnot View Post
        Hi guys

For a short time, I'll be running NT7 on another PC. The trouble is, I think this PC only has 1GB of RAM.

Now, I won't be trading from it and I'll only need one chart open at a time.

All my time on this PC will be spent on working on NinjaScript and strategies. (I realise that I may not be able to use Strategy Analyzer.)

Even though NT may be sluggish, should it at least work, so far as working on NinjaScript and compiling are concerned?

(This will be the only instance of NT running and I'll close down all other programs.)

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Comment

sledge

Thanks very much, .

What's happening is that I'll be looking after someone else's house for a couple of weeks and will only have access to their PC which they bought about the time the wheel was invented.

I've actually been thinking about getting another GB of ram and upgrading their machine. I've done this before. But if I make a mistake and they come back to find their PC is kaput, I don't think I'll be invited back again!

But I'll certainly consider this. Much obliged.

Comment

sledge

Thanks very much, .

What's happening is that I'll be looking after someone else's house for a couple of weeks and will only have access to their PC which they bought about the time the wheel was invented.

I've actually been thinking about getting another GB of ram and upgrading their machine. I've done this before. But if I make a mistake and they come back to find their PC is kaput, I don't think I'll be invited back again!

But I'll certainly consider this. Much obliged.
            You should invest in a $500-700 laptop with 4+gb of ram instead

Borrow their monitor and use a dual screen setup off the laptop.

Comment

... their PC which they bought about the time the wheel was invented.
              The wheel? I think you have the time line wrong. Maybe about the time they first discovered that sharpening the stone made a better killing implement?

Comment

The wheel? I think you have the time line wrong. Maybe about the time they first discovered that sharpening the stone made a better killing implement?
                koganam

Thanks. I happen to think their 1GB of ram is part of an actual ram - for all the good it does!

Comment

You should invest in a $500-700 laptop with 4+gb of ram instead

Borrow their monitor and use a dual screen setup off the laptop.
                  sledge - thanks again. Good idea. It would be possible to get a 2nd hand laptop for much cheaper than that (something approaching a netbook but not quite) if it's not for trading, only working on strategies, etc., if we're only talking about a reserve machine for temporary usage.

Plugging in their monitor to get a much better display is a great idea, esp. if it was a tiny laptop.

Much obliged.

Comment

Hi again

I thought I'd report back to this thread after my experience with working with 1GB of ram in XP for a couple of weeks.

NT and the Kinetick feed worked fine given that I was mainly working on strategies and looking at charts, only a few at a time. (I made sure I ran strategies with 'CalculateOnBarClose = true'.) I'm sure I could have traded by keeping everything simple.

Of course, Strategy Analyser would probably have ground the machine down to its constituent atoms...

So basically, working with 1GB in XP works (which of course is under the recommended minimum spec) so long as you keep the restraints constantly in mind.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                    47 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post aligator  
                    Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post jaybedreamin