Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinetick EOD vs paid Kinetick

Hey,

Could anyone tell me how NinjaTrader handles the data feed it gets from these two connections: paid Kinetick and Kinetick EOD? I just got a subscription for Kinetick and don't really see much of a difference compared to the normal Kinetick EOD connection on my backtest.

My strategy works on daily bars, but I need it to enter and exit during a day, not at the open/close. Will the Kinetick EOD be enough for that on a backtest, or do I need the paid subscription?

As it is now, the backtest seems to go entry/exit on the open/close, which is not what I want it to do. At first I thought it had something to do with the way the Kinetick EOD feed worked, but after getting the paid subscription I'm a bit confused.

This is all on backtesting btw.
    Last edited by Stoop; 08-20-2012, 01:50 AM. Reason: Changed title

Welcome to our forums Stoop, both connections would be treated the same for what you're doing - backtesting on daily bars. To test exiting before the actual daily close on intraday data though, a Kinetick subscription would need to be used, as otherwise the needed granularity for testing is not available.

What you see though in backtesting on daily bars would be unfortunately expected, you could not simulate a trade exit before the session end / on the session end here. It would then execute on next day's open.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply.

So if I understand this correctly, Kinetick EOD will only allow me to enter or exit a position on the open, the day after my strategy get a signal for entry/exit ?
      And I will need the paid Kinetick for the data feed to enter/exit during a day ?

Or am I misunderstanding how the daily bars work, do I need to use other time intervalls to be able to do this?

Comment

Correct, you would need the intra day data provided by your Kinetick subscription to be able to test this setup - as NinjaTrader uses per default a conservative backtesting approach, allowing you to act as soon as the bar has closed only, this is then the next day open using daily data. With an intraday data stream added your strategy could realize an exit then before the session end on the same day.

Comment

Okey, then I have all the answers I need (for now)! Again, thank you very much for your response.

Comment

You are welcome, please let us know if you need anything else.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
            6 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post DJ888
            by DJ888

Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
            0 responses