Trading a Strategy Using Daily Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading a Strategy Using Daily Bars

I'm planning to use NT to trade a strategy which uses daily bars. Upon a successful CrossAbove or CrossBelow with lookback = 1, the strategy will enter into stock positions.

Now what I'm afraid of is when the strategy will decide to enter positions. Assuming I use EnterLong and EnterShort to place market orders, will NT at least wait till RTH to trade these stocks (as I have configured US Equities RTH as default for the instruments I want to trade) or would it submit market orders as soon as premarket is available?

Also, as this is a long term very low frequency strategy, I will often have NT closed/my computer off/broker disconnected etc. Upon reconnection and launching NT, will my existing positions be synchronized and will the strategy recognize the positions it had previously?

Thanks in advance!

wuilengh, the orders would be executed on the next bar open which is determined in realtime going forward by the session selected, so RTH would be what you seek here.

When you reenable the strategy, it will recalculate it's historical positons and provided your strategy position is then in sync to your account position, it would continue to manage it - we generally do not sync a strategy to an account, but the other way around - so it would be important that the accounts hold the position your strategy is managing coming from historical data.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Sorry, I'm not so clear on the second bit - would this then be a problem if I have many strategies trading the same stock (say SPY) on the same brokerage account or if I did some discretionary trading in the name as well? Would this confuse the strategies and mess up the ExitLong and ExitShort commands?

Comment

The strategies will generate their signals based on the data and conditions, you can execute multiple strategies on the same account symbol and even trade manually as well - what you need to ensure is that the combined strategy position is matching what's present in the account. If you have a manual position on top of that, that's fine.

Comment

Awesome, and I assume things like Position.MarketPosition will behave as though they are strategy specific?

Thanks again.

Comment

Correct, that position is specific to each instance - there's no cross communication between strategies.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Belfortbucks, Today, 09:29 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Belfortbucks  
            Started by zstheorist, Today, 07:52 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes