Collapse

NT doesn't function with Intellimirror or MyDocuments mapped to network share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT doesn't function with Intellimirror or MyDocuments mapped to network share

I'm finding it rather frustrating that I can't use NT on my primary laptop. I have the laptop configured to have my personal folders mapped to a network location so that the data is always backed up and auto-sync'd onto any machines on my domain.

I was hoping a new release of NT had fixed this, but apparently not.

Basically, after the launching the app, the splash screen comes up and the little status line updates a few times. After the final "compiling custom.dll" the splash screen goes away and then the app promptly crashes.

It would seem very trivial to test and fix this. Of the other dozens of apps that are installed on my machine and using the MyDocuments and such folders, NT is the *ONLY* app I have come across that doesn't work.

Maybe you don't have a lot of folks doing as I am, but please fix this so that A) I can use it <grin> B) NT doesn't look lame by crashing at launch in such a basic config.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

Hello tedvz,

Thank you for your post.

The database technology used by NinjaTrader requires that the database reside on a local drive. Unfortunately, it is not possible to force NinjaTrader to place it's data directory outside of the Documents folder - because of this, the Documents folder must remain on the local drive. There is no work-around which would allow you to overcome this limitation currently but this is an area of the software which development is considering changing in the future.

If other questions come up please let me know.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

How about a location like %appdata%? that isn't typically mapped in standard Intellimirror scenarios. That location is a local drive on my box. If the database isn't really an editable file, or if the database is not a file that should be in users faces, then it shouldn't be in MyDocs anyway - the %appdata% location is much more appropriate.

Just a suggestion. That would fix the problem if the app could reference the data from there, without having to look to change the underlying data access layer.

Comment

Hi tedvz,

Thanks for this suggestion - I will forward this feedback on to our development staff.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That would be awesome. Thanks.

Comment

Koganam has a work around in a post on here.

I'll try to look later for it.

Originally posted by tedvz View Post

Comment

Originally posted by tedvz View Post
              follow the link from Koganam in this post:

Comment

Thanks for the post. I have tried all manner of symbolic links and junctions. But, because my "My documents" folder is mapped to the intellimirror server, I can't create a link from a network server to a local drive. I've also tried creating a local Documents folder and installing NT, but it still puts the data in the remote location. Even if I try to copy it locally, it doesn't fly - it keeps following the local profile settings on my machine mapping the whole docs directory.

Unless I'm missing something, this won't work for my case.

What really should be done, is that most of the data below the MyDocs\NinjaTrader 7 folder really should go to %appdata% since most of the contents below there is app data and not user-editable documents or templates, etc.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post elderan
                by elderan

Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes