Buying a Specific Dollar Amount in Strategy Analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Specific Dollar Amount in Strategy Analyzer

In Strategy Analyzer, my new long positions seem to be taken in a specific number of shares. Is there a way to initiate long positions in a specific dollar amount? For example, if I wanted to enter long positions with $10,000 each time (rather than 100 shares), how do I do that?

Hello DaxPagan,

Unfortunately order quantity cannot be set to currency. The 'Set order quantity' setting is used to determine what order quantities are submitted. Please see the information at the link below under 'Understanding backtest properties'.

Set order quantity

Sets how the order size is determined, options are:

"by default quantity" - User defined order size
    "by strategy" - Takes the order size specified programmatically within the strategy
    "by account" - Allows you to set a virtual account value that is used to determine maximum order size based on margin settings per instrument set in the Instrument Manager
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It looks like "by default quantity" and "by strategy" refer to number of shares.

Then I see... " "by account" - Allows you to set a virtual account value that is used to determine maximum order size based on margin settings per instrument set in the Instrument Manager"
      Is it possible to use the "by account" choice to establish some sort of dollar amount that determines the size of the first long position?
      Any other suggestions/tricks/tips about trying to base the amount invested on something other than a number of shares?

Comment

I'm not expert by any means... But whenever I backtest I always set the order quantity to "by account" and set it to $25k. During the backtest, the analyzer will purchase $25k of stock at whatever price.

However, to have those profits rolled over into the next trade and the buying power increased will take some custom coding. Which I have yet to tackle.

Hope that answers it for you.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason  
        Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
        6 responses
        0 likes