IB and orders not getting filled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB and orders not getting filled

I have an IB account, sometimes I don't get a fill even though it hits my stop limit buy order with shares are available at the ask price but does not print on chart, example today I had an order on TCK-B of 30.75 when it was at 30.75 ask the print on chart was 30.73 then next print on chart was 30.76 then you can see my order highlight that it was active. Does the order only become active when it prints at or above chart price?
    I noticed in chart traders properties that you have a order offset. How does this work? If you have a 2 tick offset would the order go live at 30.73 if you had a stop limit order of 30.75?

Thanks

Hello,

The order will become active once the Stop price has been reached. From there, the price you will be filled at is controlled by the limit offset.

If you use a limit offset of 0, the limit order will be at the same price as the stop and can result in the stop-limit order being 'jumped' if there are no buyers/sellers at this exact price. To help ensure you receive a fill, you can use a higher value for the limit offset.

In your example, if you used an offset of 2 ticks, and your buy stop was at 30.75, the order would go active once priced reached 30.75, and would allow you to be filled up to a price of 30.77, but no higher.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

This is confusing then, as I mentioned I had a buy stop limit order at 30.75 for 100 shares and there was 2700 shares on the ask at 30.75, and as this is a slow moving stock it did not just flash and change price it was there for a good 3 seconds or so and not 1 transaction at 30.75 but skipped over and printed 30.76?
      Does the order go live once it prints on the chart and does not matter if there shares available on the ask and if so does the dom do the same?

Thanks

Comment

NinjaTrader has no control over how orders are filled in your live account. If you have questions regarding a fill in your live account, you will want to contact your broker for clarification.

Comment

Matthew are you familiar with IB'S trigger method and know anything about the double bid/ask ?
          Need someone to explain it in plain English LOL

Comment

I'm sorry, what do you mean by double bid/ask price?

Comment

It is a trigger method under global configuration for IB trigger method
              here is a link describing it

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en...ger_method.htm

I'm still not a 100% sure on what it mean and IB support was not much help

Comment

Need help from other IB users...

I talked to Ib again and got a better explanation on the double bid/ask and was told that price had to reach buy stop then retrace and the second time it hit it would go active, so I I'm guessing that the bid/ask would be better, he also told me that I could use a buy stop limit with a offset so if I want to buy at 30.00 with an offset of .01 then the order would go active at 29.99 but the limit of 30.00 would be the active order. So I set this up in global configuration within Ib for all stock and work when placing trades through IB TWS but when I place it through NT the offset does not get attached?
                I noticed that NT has an offset in chart trader properties but is different from IBs, if you have a buy stop limit of 30.00 with and offset of .01 then order becomes active at 30.00 and you could get a fill up to 30.01.
                What I want to know is if I can have it so that I can use IB's offset when placing order through NT?
                Also does NT have it's own trigger method? I noticed when I'm in demo that the order does not become active until a print at that price is attained so I'm wondering if I changed the trigger method in IB if it would make a difference if NT has it's own trigger method?

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

We would not be able to support the native IB stop order trigger methods. Adding support for these is on our development team's list of possible features, however I do not have an ETA on when we might be able to provide support for these items. This feature is tracked using ID # 1907

You will need to use the NinjaTrader Stop Limit offsets.

Comment

So if I use the bid/ask as the trigger method in IB pre-sets configuration that when placing an order through NT that NT would over ride IB's trigger method pre-sets?

Comment

Yes if the order is placed through NinjaTrader, the IB trigger options will not be used.

Comment

Thanks Matthew

If I were to use a -1 tick in NT offset would that accomplish what I am trying to do in IB?

Thanks for your patience and help

Comment

By using a negative offset, the stop will still be the trigger price. This allows you to place orders that trigger at a break out price but try to fill you at a better price. Please not that these are going to be simulated on your computer and not submitted to your broker until the order has been executed.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by PhillT, Today, 02:16 PM
                          2 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post PhillT
                          by PhillT

Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                          3 responses