Gann Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gann Fan

Gann Fan is plotted correctly on charts of futures product like 6E and 6A which have default "points per par" of 0.00010 . for example ES points per bar is 0.25 and it should be changed manually .

the problem is in the case of 6J (japanese yen futures) "ponits per bar" is 0.00001 and in this case i did not find any way to plot gann fan on it .

does any one know the solution ?

Hello amireck,
    You can change the point per bar from the Chart Object properties dialog.
    • Select the Gann Fan draw object and right click on it
    • In the context menu click on Properties
    • In the Gann Fan properties dialog set the appropriate Points per bar (.000001).

Please refer to the attached screenshot which demonstrates it further.
    Attached Files
    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Joydeep View Post
      Hello amireck,
      You can change the point per bar from the Chart Object properties dialog.
      • Select the Gann Fan draw object and right click on it
      • In the context menu click on Properties
      • In the Gann Fan properties dialog set the appropriate Points per bar (.000001).

Please refer to the attached screenshot which demonstrates it further.
      you corrected me , yes the correct value per point is 0.000001 . initially i checked AMP futures website http://www.ampfutures.com/contract_specs.html , they mentioned a wrong number for japanese yen's points per bar and with your number it works correctly.

Comment

Suggestion...

Now when highlighting a Gann Fan to move, delete or change properties it is sometimes difficult to hit the one small point at the apex of the fan ....especially when other draw tools may be in close conjunction...when highlighting other draw tools one can click anyplace on the tool...seems like this click anyplace on the tool lines highlighting way would work better on the Gann Fan also perhaps....

In the screen shot below for example....where a line and Gann Fan start at the same point, it is impossible to highlight the Fan first without moving the line out of the way...

Also...in scaling the Fan ....might it be better to say Points per tick rather than Points per bar...??

Thanks...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Alfred; 09-28-2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Hello Alfred,
          Thanks for your feedback.

I will send your feature request to development for future consideration.
          JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Joydeep View Post
            Hello Alfred,
            Thanks for your feedback.

I will send your feature request to development for future consideration.
            There is actually one way the NinjaTrader Gann fan can really be improved - instead of one value for "points per bar" there could be given two values - "points" and "bars".
            When drawing Gann fans at one minute charts in forex instruments some values for "points per bar" come at 0.00002(3) (that means 0.000023333333333333333...), 0.00001(6) (Gann angles are based on squares, so that value if calculated correct is the diagonal of a square - that means always a square root of something) - so it would be much better if we could just say 10 or 14 pips per 30 or 60 bars.
            Tradeinterceptor has this options for the Gann fan for example.
            Fans are drawn good enough correct, but it is quite frustrating to write 0.00002333333333333 and just hold the 3 "for a while"

Comment

Hello .kypa,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

I will forward your suggestion to our development team.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                Hello .kypa,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

I will forward your suggestion to our development team.
                Thank you, Patrick, for the quick responding and for the warm welcoming!

I am really new to NinjaTrader so I suppose I can ask a couple of possibly very dumb questions

first: Is there any source code of that Gann fan I can lay my hands on - I think I can make that little change/addition by myself, but I would never write a whole code?

and second: Is it possible at all to import a ninjascript for drawing instrument?

Comment

Hello .kypa,

Thank you for your response.

The source code for the drawing objects is not available. Custom created drawing objects are not supported in NinjaTrader. However, you can create indicators to plot values that you are looking for and even use custom plotting. If you would like to take on learning NinjaScript, we have a fully documented help guide which will help you get started with Ninja Script. You will find language references to all of the methods and functions you will be using. You will also see a tutorial section which will help you create your first indicator and get you started with some of these concepts.
                  A link to our Help Guide can be found below: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stribution.htm

I am also linking you to the Educational Resources section of the Help Guide to help you get started with NinjaScript: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._resources.htm

You will find Reference Samples online as well as some Tips and Tricks for both indicators and strategies:
                  Click here to see our NinjaScript Reference Samples: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=30
                  Click here to see our NinjaScript Tips: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3229

These samples can be downloaded, installed and modified from NinjaTrader and hopefully serve as a good base for your custom works.

There is a also a growing library of user submitted custom indicators (100+) that can be downloaded from our support form. Please look in the NinjaScript File Sharing section of our support forum as you may find what you are looking for there: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=37

If you have limited time or programming capabilities, you can discuss your requirements with any of our certified NinjaScript consultants.
                  Click here for a list of certified NinjaScript Consultants: http://www.ninjatrader.com/Ecosystem/NonBroker.php#81

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Looking at a chart event that you want to plot Gann lines in relation to...(the brown rectangle in the screen shot below)...you want the Gann 1X1 line to be a diagonal of the rectangle...ideally you want to be able to grab a second point on the 1X1 line and adjust the 1X1 diagonal to fit your square....then all of the Gann lines will all be related to this diagonal after you set the default for the correct fan set up for this particular event....

In Ninja it is now too difficult & time consuming to fuss with the points per bar to get this to easily work graphically.

And ....please....fix that 1 very tiny point to highlight the fan....
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Alfred; 06-13-2014, 05:01 PM. Reason: more fix up

Comment

Thank you for the links, Patrick, I'll take a look.
                      I think both mine and Alfred's wishes could come true with a very simple code - first a ray-line is drawn by hand and then there comes the script which plots a bunch of other ray-lines based on it - the first point of all of them is the same and the second it just multiplies time or price by 2, 4, 8 or whatever we want (I suppose NinjaScript can do that and the platform supports it, if not - now is the time to tell me ). That should look and work like the Fibo fan in the Metatraders with retracements -7, -3, -1, 0, 0.5, 0.75, 0.875. In fact another suggestion to the NinjaTrader development team could be made - a Fibo fan and/or some sort of speed lines (like Edson Gould's, not cocaine ). Not for me, but there would sure be people out there who will find it useful.
                      Maybe I'll give this ray-line stuff a try in the weekend, but if somebody wants to help I wouldn't mind.

Comment

.....Video

Yes...the initial line on any fan setup would be drawn like a Ray draw tool line as one wishes...this would always be the 1X1 line on your fan. Be able to set up and save multiple examples. The additional fan lines could be user set up also...fibonacci or whatever ratios....more lines than in the current Gann Fan. And again...be able to truncate the fan lines at the end of the initial ray set up or in multiples of the initial ray....one does not need those fan lines running on indefinitely in all cases...still be able to set up with points or ticks per bar also.

Here is a video on the way this could be done...

Comment

Gann/Fib/Speed lines

Hi .kypa, creating a Gann Fan tool at first seems like recreating the wheel but on second thought can provide more and better features. Here is a chart picture of a re-imagined GannFan tool which:
                          1. Has On/Off switches for any lines, no need to change the color to transparent.
                          2. Once anchored at starting point, a second click above/below sets the direction of the fan. No need to open any kind of parameters to change the direction.
                          3. Once rendered, the direction can be changed by a click and drag of any of the lines.
                          4. Auto adjusts to any chart, regardless of tick size. No need to change any 'Points per bar' setting.
                          5. By default will adjust to Point and Figure charts as seen in the picture with a comparison to the standard NT tool.

You may also want to watch this video about a Speedlines/FibFan tool: SpeedLines
                          Attached Files
                          eDanny
                          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Additional features

As a follow up after reading another thread, the draw tool has been modified. Please find the details here.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by eDanny; 06-16-2014, 10:56 AM.
                            eDanny
                            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Flexible Fan Ratios Better.......

Comparing Fibonacci Ratios with Gann Ratios...

Gann Ratios
                              5/8 = .625
                              3/8 = .375
                              2/8 = .25

Fibo Ratios
                              233/377 =.618
                              144/377 =.382
                              89/377 ..=.236

Have found the Fibo Ratios to be the more accurate....one may find a fan of Fibo Ratios on the charts to be quite a bit more accurate than a Gann fan...plus there are other custom ratios that might be plugged in on a custom fan...Gann did not have a computer and his charts were hand drawn....so he had to keep his graphics a bit simpler perhaps...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Perr0Grande  
                              Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post elderan