Running NT from a USB Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running NT from a USB Drive

Is it possible to have Ninja installed on a USB device (either a USB hard disk or a USB thumb/pen/portable drive? My question arises as I work in diferent projects and 1. Do not have a dedicated PC and 2. Ussually the IM/IS/IT guys do not want their PC loaded with external applications. I have it in my laptop but again I cannot always access the Internet from the projects.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Hello shadow,

I would not know if this will work, since we never tested this. I suggest to give it a try and let us know if it will work.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Unfortunately this is beyond of what we can test as we roll new betas/release. You would need to try by yourself. It could well be that you hit the wall...

Comment

Thanks will let you know, I guess the problem could be the DotNet not beign installed on the PC and registry discrepancy.

Comment

I have just tried using the latest NT6.5, it doesn't work
          Attached is the error message and trace file.

Can NT use 'default' values when registry key is missing?
          Attached Files

Comment

Same thing here

It would have been nice though!

Comment

>> Can NT use 'default' values when registry key is missing?
              Unfortunately this is not supported.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow View Post
                Is it possible to have Ninja installed on a USB device (either a USB hard disk or a USB thumb/pen/portable drive? My question arises as I work in diferent projects and 1. Do not have a dedicated PC and 2. Ussually the IM/IS/IT guys do not want their PC loaded with external applications. I have it in my laptop but again I cannot always access the Internet from the projects.

Thanks in advance for the info.
                This can be done using a virtual machine or virtual pc. This is how I've been running for the last two weeks (VPC running Vista on an external hard drive through the USB port).

The downside is that you need an additional XP or Vista windows licence.

Comment

Originally posted by atrader101 View Post
                  This can be done using a virtual machine or virtual pc. This is how I've been running for the last two weeks (VPC running Vista on an external hard drive through the USB port).

The downside is that you need an additional XP or Vista windows licence.
                  Unfortunately, IT guys won't allow us to install VPC or VMWare either
                  I have tried portable VPC and portable VMWare but they all need admin right to install some services to communicate between PC and VPC.

At the moment, I m trying to get NinjaTrader running with in USB by using Thinstall, but only manage to get the NinjaScript compiler working, can load chart but cannot add indicators or strategies to it.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminC View Post
                    Unfortunately, IT guys won't allow us to install VPC or VMWare either
                    I have tried portable VPC and portable VMWare but they all need admin right to install some services to communicate between PC and VPC.

At the moment, I m trying to get NinjaTrader running with in USB by using Thinstall, but only manage to get the NinjaScript compiler working, can load chart but cannot add indicators or strategies to it.
                    Keep us posted please, looks like we have the same situation.

Comment

This would be very interesting as I guess a lot of people use NT from different places. With the live account it is not an issue as it gets the trades directly from the broker platform but in the case of the simulated account this one is saved in the hard drive. I realized that it is possible to send the database and this works but you have to copy it each time you change your PC.
                      Could it be possible to define another location of the database as a USB (not installing the whole application in the UBS)? With this capability it could be possible to use online hard drives, too.
                      Cheers

Comment

I want to add Ninja Trader to my USB also.

I am looking to be able to carry NT around with me, also safe in the knowledge that once removed no-one has access to the program/my account. My u3 drive is password protected....

So would be great if NT guys could help out here. Not entirely sure how to go about it either. Would one have to 'install' to the USB or copy \prog\NT files across - and what about the stuff in \myDocs

Regards,

Andrew

Comment

I haven't tried this myself yet but you might have a look at this link

MojoPac is a technology that transforms your iPod or USB Hard Drive or Flash drive into a portable and private PC. Just install MojoPac on any USB 2.0 compliant storage device, upload your applications and files, modify your user settings and environment preferences, and take it with you everywhere.
                          Every time you plug your MojoPac-enabled device into any Windows XP PC , MojoPac automatically launches your environment on the host PC. Your communications, music, games, applications, and files are all local and accessible. And when you unplug the MojoPac device, no trace is left behind – your information is not cached on the host PC.

Nico

Comment

Hi Nico,

MojoPac would not work as well, found this note on their website.

Note: MojoPac requires the host PC be logged in with administrative privileges or have MojoPac Usher installed. MojoPac Usher is an application that can be installed on host computers to enable MojoPac to run with a limited mode host login.

VC

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
                            7 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                            Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes