Access to the database file is not allowed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access to the database file is not allowed

I have the following error when I install to upgrade to the latest NT 7 version (7.0.1000.11 ).

Unable to connect to database ‘Data Source= “C:\Users\1-min Data Base\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\db\NinjaTrader.sdf”’: ObjectSpace: Connection String is Invalid – Access to the database file is not allowed. [ File name = C:\Users\1-min Data Base\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\db\NinjaTrader.sdf ]
    The PC is running Windows Vista Home Premium.
    I read in another post that it was worth trying to re-install MS SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2. I followed the instructions in that thread, de-installing, then re-installing, then re-starting, but the issue remains ...
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by AnotherTrader; 10-18-2012, 05:35 AM.

Hello AnotherTrader,

Did you received my response to your email regarding transferring data and settings using a backup file instead of manually copy and pasting the Documents-->NinjaTrader 7 folder?

Please create a backup file as per the instructions at the link below for the items you like on the other computer.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/creating_a_backup_archive.htm

Once NinjaTrader created a backup file, it is located at (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader Backup as .ntbk file.

Copy this file to the other computer at the exact same location.

Start NinjaTrader and restore your backup file.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/restoring_a_backup_archive.htm

Does the error remain if you transfer your data and settings this way?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      Hello AnotherTrader,

Did you received my response to your email regarding transferring data and settings using a backup file instead of manually copy and pasting the Documents-->NinjaTrader 7 folder?
      Does the error remain if you transfer your data and settings this way?
      Hi, Jason

Yes, I received the message. Thanks. But the solution didn't work.

The above error is what I now get when I try to open the original NT 7 instance. So it seems that's where the problem is; in the original instance ...

Anything that can be done?

Comment

I suggest to completely uninstall NinjaTrader on that computer. I understand you have it installed on another computer that has all your settings and data.

Please uninstall NinjaTrader via the Windows Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs (XP), Programs and Features (Vista and later).

Manually delete the (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader 7 folder.

Clear your browser cache and download and install NinjaTrader 7 at the link below.

Subsequently restore a backup file you created from the other computer.

Comment

Have tried all those steps, without luck already.

What I haven't done yet is try to restore a backup before the latest one. I'll let you know what happens once I have tried that.

Comment

Ok sounds good, please let me know if the error occurs before restoring the backup file as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
              Ok sounds good, please let me know if the error occurs before restoring the backup file as well.
              In order to report back, and close out this thread ...

I was unsuccessful reconnecting to the old database file.

My objective was to re-gain access to a valuable database of tick data that I have been building up for several instruments.

Fortunately I eventually did manage this by installing a clean version of NT7, re-creating the instruments in question in the new NT7 installation, and then copying over the contents of the old ~/Documents/Ninja Trader 7/db/tick/ folder from a Windows backup.

This seems to have worked ... it's not an easy option, as I have to recreate several hundred instruments, and their mapping to eSignal, and tick sizes, etc, etc ... but still better than losing the data...

Where there's a will, there's a way ...

Last edited by AnotherTrader; 10-31-2012, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
              118 responses
              1 like
              Last Post kevinenergy  
              Started by briansaul, Today, 05:31 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post briansaul