MB Trading "refresh data" crashes NT7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MB Trading "refresh data" crashes NT7

I've had this problem since the very first release of version 7 of NT. I thought I had reported it earlier, but can't find my records.

After running NT for awhile (could be weeks, could be 1-2 hours) eventually it reaches a state where pressing CTRL-SHIFT-R (to reload chart data) has a 75% chance to cause NT7 to crash. That's my rough probability.

The error is an unhandled exception -- something like "data file locked by another process" within the MBT data module. I can't determine much more than that obviously because I don't have the source code.

I've tried repairing the database, resetting the database, resetting the instruments, deleting all my local data and starting fresh (this will let it work for a few hours or maybe days before the behaviour starts). I've even tried un-installing, deleting all the files related to NT7, and then re-installing. Eventually the behaviour returns.

I can't believe that nobody else is having this problem.... Surely I'm not the only one? I thought it might be related to anti-virus programs accessing the data files, but I tried disabling AV and the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Neal
    Last edited by nsymms; 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM.

Hello Neal,

Thank you for your forum post.

I do know that a message similiar to "data file locked by another process" would indicate that another application is using the same file(s) that NinjaTrader is attempting to write to/modify.

To investigate further please send the latest log and trace files from this computer to support[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com

Put 'Attn Ryan L.' in the subject header and reference this thread.

You will find the log file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.
    • The log file will be named "log.YYYYMMDD.txt"

You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
    • The trace file will be named "trace.YYYYMMDD.txt"
    Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

No idea to add, just wanted to comment as I also use MBTrading Data. Why do you have to press CTRL-SHIFT-R to reload chart data? I just wait and my data comes up without me doing anything. ???

Could it be a conflict that you're doing something when MB is also doing it? Just a thought.

Comment

Well I guess that's another issue I have with NT and MBT. Whenever I start up NT after having been offline for a day or so, the charts all have a gap which is NOT automatically filled. I have to hit "refresh" to fill the gap. Very annoying, but I've learned to live with it. If there's a way so that I don't have to do this, that would be great.

Comment

Yes, something is off. I only have 11 days to load in my Data Series, but I've had more and never had any gaps. I have NT closed for the weekends plus if I'm off visiting for a longer time.

Comment

After more thorough investigating, I noticed that my version of MBT Desktop has always been "ahead" of the version recommended by NinjaTrader. This is just my stubbornness, I guess, always trying to use the latest and greatest of everything. So NT always appears to work, but I often get some very strange behaviour with the first post being one example.

I've since reverted back to the recommended version of MBT Desktop and haven't had any problems in about a week. At this point I'm pretty sure this was the problem. Sorry for the false alarm.

Comment

Hello nsymms,

Thank you for the information and I am glad to hear that the situation has been resolved with MBT Navigator version 11.9.0.4.
              Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by nsymms View Post
                After more thorough investigating, I noticed that my version of MBT Desktop has always been "ahead" of the version recommended by NinjaTrader. This is just my stubbornness, I guess, always trying to use the latest and greatest of everything. So NT always appears to work, but I often get some very strange behaviour with the first post being one example.

I've since reverted back to the recommended version of MBT Desktop and haven't had any problems in about a week. At this point I'm pretty sure this was the problem. Sorry for the false alarm.
                Don't feel too bad as I had done the same thing. In fact, stopped using NT for awhile because I couldn't use the new cool MBT platform. LOL Finally came back and tried NT with what I was suppose to with Navigator and it works just as fast.

Glad you're on the right track.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by trilliantrader, 04-10-2024, 09:33 PM
                6 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post trilliantrader  
                Started by traderqz, Today, 12:06 AM
                5 responses
                0 likes