Chart Trader-Why cant I close my order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Trader-Why cant I close my order?

Demo and Live Ninja behave quite differently.
    When Demo trading with an open position hitting the Close button would close EVERYTHING, pending orders included.
    My first day coming back to live trading I wanted to manually close a profitable position and followed the usual procedure. Nothing happened.I right clicked to cancel all orders- nothing.Flatten position - nothing. I had to manually place a limit order and wait for the price to fill. Of course by this time my position had shrunk considerably.

Quoting from the help screen:
    "Closing a Position or ATM Strategy"
    On all entry windows there is an action button "CLOSE" which will close a position or a strategy depending on what mouse button is pressed.

When a position or strategy is closed, NinjaTrader goes through the following process:

Assume we are long the SP Emini contract at an entry price of 1000.
    • Identifies any working sell limit orders
    • Cancel all other orders
    • Modifies the price of the identified working sell limit orders below the market so that they get filled instantly
    • Submit a sell market order if necessary for any left over contracts that are not covered by the identified working sell limit orders
    So am I missing something? Do I need to place a limit order so Ninja can move it for this to work? If so this works differently from trading demo. Last time I went from demo to live I also encountered strange glitches and nasty surprises like this which I won't elaborate on here.
    I want to depend on my software but I feel Ninja often lets me down.
    I am running 6.5.0.6

Hi Taters,

Most likely, the following happened when you clicked the Close-button. NinjaTrader submits the modification of your working sell orders, but they were in the waiting line to be accepted at new price at the exchange, due to high volume.

If you didn't had a sell order working, NinjaTrader will submit a sell market order, which most likely also was in waiting line to be accepted at the exchange.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply...

just so we are "on the same page" my trade was not during especially high volume- I wasn't trying to trade the FOMC news spike. It is disconcerting to try try to close your order and literally nothing happens. Shouldn't Ninja say "Order Pending" or something if it has submitted an order that is in a queue?
      And why did it close instantly with a limit order before the alleged order that was waiting to fill by the "Close" button?

Thanks,
      -T

Comment

It works the same in simulation as it does live. I can't comment on your situation since I don't know what happened. You can send your logs and traces via Help > Mail To Support and someone can review and provide an explanation. Please reference this post.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post mattbsea  
        Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
        6 responses
        0 likes