Data Series updates on daily charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Series updates on daily charts

Every day I have to manually change the date on my daily bar charts to the next day. It is extraordinarily annoying. The auto-date updates work on all my 60 min bar charts and smaller time frames. I don't understand why there is this "feature" in the first place. I have had previous versions of NT where this failed on minute bar charts as well. The current version has this working only for minute bar charts, not daily bar charts.

Hello tradetree,

Thanks for writing in to report this issue.

This is something which should be updating automatically. As a test, please create a new workspace and add a single new chart - after adding the chart, save the changes to your workspace by clicking File > Workspaces > Save Workspace.

Please let me know whether you see the same behavior in the new workspace.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, it will take a day or two. One thing I want to be clear about in my setup. I have two data connections. My primary is to my futures broker, my secondary is to Kinetick. My primary gives me minute data, Kinetick gives end of day Daily. It works fine if I move the date up and then "reload all historical data". By "fine" I mean I have to manually update the date as I already explained.

Comment

The new workspace is behaving the same as the old one. The starting date of 11/12/12 did not roll to 11/13/12 today.
        Last edited by tradetree; 11-13-2012, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Can you tell me if you leave NinjaTrader open overnight. If you do if you restart NinjaTrader then open a new chart does the issue persist?
          Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

My computer is always on. I restart NT every Sunday.

I am not sure I understand your last question. - If I open a new chart this chart is always up to date, because the new chart takes the current date/time. It is the old charts, but only Daily bar charts that do not update.

Comment

Can someone from support respond to this, or should I put in a ticket?

Comment

I apologize for the delay. If you restart NinjaTrader in the morning does the old Daily chart then update to the current date?
                Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, it went from 11/12/12 to 11/14/12 after a restart.

Comment

Originally posted by tradetree View Post
                    Every day I have to manually change the date on my daily bar charts to the next day. It is extraordinarily annoying. The auto-date updates work on all my 60 min bar charts and smaller time frames. I don't understand why there is this "feature" in the first place. I have had previous versions of NT where this failed on minute bar charts as well. The current version has this working only for minute bar charts, not daily bar charts.
                    I too have this problem and mentioned it a while ago. I only have 7 charts to check. They are intraday charts.

I'm connected to Zen-Fire and TDA.

The Zen-Fire futures ones are the problem. The TDA ones are 90% problematic. Mostly, the minimized charts to get refreshed. It doesn't matter if I connect Sunday night or Monday morning. Even if I do 'open them up', they seem to have an issue.

It probably has something to do with the session template, and starting at 9:30 Monday and not having anything to do with Sunday night and Monday morning.

edit: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...TDA+chart+date
                    Last edited by sledge; 11-14-2012, 09:02 PM. Reason: added other thread

Comment

I looked at your discussion and it is the same sort of problem. As I stated I have reported this off and on for years now, and in the past it was a bug. The bug was fixed for minute bar charts, but now it doesn't work for daily bar charts.

As a programmer myself, I know how this could be fixed so it is never an issue again. The problem is the way they are approaching the problem. They look for the date in the data series to be the previous day and then roll it to the current day. This is the wrong approach. If they simply had a checkbox to say "always give latest time" then this would never get out of sync. Lets say you left your computer off for a month. When you started up again it would see the checkbox and always bring you to the current date, no matter what date was in the chart data series. It is just a broken mechanism they use. It works often enough that they rationalize it is a good mechanism.

Comment

I looked at your discussion and it is the same sort of problem. As I stated I have reported this off and on for years now, and in the past it was a bug. The bug was fixed for minute bar charts, but now it doesn't work for daily bar charts.

As a programmer myself, I know how this could be fixed so it is never an issue again. The problem is the way they are approaching the problem. They look for the date in the data series to be the previous day and then roll it to the current day. This is the wrong approach. If they simply had a checkbox to say "always give latest time" then this would never get out of sync. Lets say you left your computer off for a month. When you started up again it would see the checkbox and always bring you to the current date, no matter what date was in the chart data series. It is just a broken mechanism they use. It works often enough that they rationalize it is a good mechanism.
                        Mine are all minute charts (((

I also think it might also have to do with how stocks are 'touched' when you connect to your provider.

Are these all on your Kinetick?

Comment

I use Rithmic for futures charts (minute). I use Kinetic for daily non-futures charts. I use IB for ETF trading.

BTW, I should mention that I solved the issue of TWS logging off at end of day, but it probably won't work for you. What I do is run IB Gateway on another computer that runs linux, then I connect from NT as a data connection to IB Gateway.

Comment

I use Rithmic for futures charts (minute). I use Kinetic for daily non-futures charts. I use IB for ETF trading.

BTW, I should mention that I solved the issue of TWS logging off at end of day, but it probably won't work for you. What I do is run IB Gateway on another computer that runs linux, then I connect from NT as a data connection to IB Gateway.
                            I wonder, in your windows task bar, do your problem charts rename un-named?

Mine do, and I'm sure they 'haven't been touched'...

This might be a 2nd connection issue. That much is at least in common.

(I'm IB'less )

I'll create an SPY-daily chart and see what happens this weekend.

Comment

Not sure I understood what you meant by "problem charts rename un-named"? If you mean "remain un-named" I also don't follow. I am running Win 7 and everything is named in the task bar.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post maybeimnotrader