ExitShort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ExitShort

I am trying to set a calculated target. No matter what I have tried it just exits on the next bar.

I went and put in a statice number to see if the calculation was causing the problem but I got the same results. I made sure the number was much higher than the low would ever be so there shouldn't be any exit in this case

This is under the on bar update.

I am entering a break of the first hour low. This is working fine. But it immediately exits the next bar.

Any help would be appreciated.

if (CrossBelow(Low, BzvOpeningRange4("0430", "0530", "1315").RangeLowSeries, 1)
    && ToTime(Time[
    0]) > ToTime(5, 30, 0)
    && ToTime(Time[
    0]) < ToTime(7, 0, 0))
    {
    EnterShort(DefaultQuantity,
    "BreakOutShort");
    }
    // Condition set 2
    if (Low[0] > 1500);
    {
    ExitShort(
    "Target 61", "");
    }

delta20, I would suggest to include a condition as well to submit that Exit only if you're not flat or for example if a # of BarsSinceEntry was surpassed -

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by delta20 View Post
      I am trying to set a calculated target. No matter what I have tried it just exits on the next bar.

I went and put in a statice number to see if the calculation was causing the problem but I got the same results. I made sure the number was much higher than the low would ever be so there shouldn't be any exit in this case

This is under the on bar update.

I am entering a break of the first hour low. This is working fine. But it immediately exits the next bar.

Any help would be appreciated.

if (CrossBelow(Low, BzvOpeningRange4("0430", "0530", "1315").RangeLowSeries, 1)
      && ToTime(Time[
      0]) > ToTime(5, 30, 0)
      && ToTime(Time[
      0]) < ToTime(7, 0, 0))
      {
      EnterShort(DefaultQuantity,
      "BreakOutShort");
      }
      // Condition set 2
      if (Low[0] > 1500);
      {
      ExitShort(
      "Target 61", "");
      }
      That is because you have coded your exit condition as a null statement, so the ExitShort() will be triggered on every bar.

Remove the semi-colon, that I have highlighted in red, so that the block following the if statement becomes the execution block for the statement, instead of the null statement that is currently coded.

Do not feel bad. I still make that mistake even now, once in a while, and it is the devil to debug. The only reason that I saw it so quickly is because now, whenever I see a problem where a statement is ignoring an if condition, that is the first thing that I look for.

It is so easy to overlook it, even when reading it back. One trick I use is to read from bottom to top, so that the code makes no sense in my mind. That way I can read what I wrote, instead of what I think I wrote, and keep missing the error. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Thanks alot for that I will give it a try.

I am new to ninja with very limited progamming skills so I have been piecing code together. Fortunately there is alot of code available to learn from.

Can you explain what a null statement is and or what it would be used for?

Thanks again

Stefan

Comment

Originally posted by delta20 View Post
          Thanks alot for that I will give it a try.

I am new to ninja with very limited progamming skills so I have been piecing code together. Fortunately there is alot of code available to learn from.

Can you explain what a null statement is and or what it would be used for?

Thanks again

Stefan
          A null statement is a statement that is null. i.e., it does nothing.

The null statement is useless by itself, but it can have a syntactic use in a wider context.

e.g., within the context of a loop:
          Code:
          while (ReadChar() != '\n')
           ;
          The above code continues calling the ReadChar() function until it returns a \n (newline) character.

Comment

Next 1st day non stop entries

Your advice fixed my first problem!

Now if I set the backtest to use regular trading hours (trading /es) the first day of the strategy backtest just has entry - exit on next candle etc.. until the end of my set time period for entry

If I set it to instrument settings which has extended hours the returns are correct since I have the entry time only between 10.30am and Noon with exit on close of the session so I believe I am getting proper returns I just have have alot of extra data on the chart.

I thought this might have to do with the look back period but haven't been able to figure it out.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post DJ888
            by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes