Gap in chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gap in chart

See attached for a visual concerning my question. It is something I run into about every week.
    The 1Minute chart starts off where it ended off on Friday. But the 5Min/15Minute chart draws the weekend (Saturday/Sunday) as a gap which of course throws the indicators off.

The settings in both charts are the same meaning Ending Day is today (26Nov), SessionTemplate is "Use Instrument setting", Days to load is 5.

What do I have to do so the 5/15Min chart does the same as the 1Min chart?

sandman
    Attached Files

Gap in chart

Sandman,

I believe it has to do with loading multiple timeframes into a single chart. Which I think is a NT issue/Bug. This also happens for me. It only occurs on charts where multiple timeframes are loaded. In this case the ES Dec 2012 contract, Session Temple is set to "Use Instrument Setting". But it also occurs when I switch them to other settings, such as "24/7". It only occurs Between Friday and Sundays. Or when there are portions of the time when market is closed, such as the time Sandy hit East coast. When you look at the same data individually, such as 3Minute or 30Minute charts, the gaps are not there. Very strange!

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John.2000; 11-25-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Hello sandman,

Thank you for your post.

Which Session Template is used in these data sets? Right click in the chart and select Data Series to find out - Session Template settings are shown to the right side of that menu.
      KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

As I said above already:

SessionTemplate is "Use Instrument setting".

sandman

Comment

Hello,

Please contact me via email (Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com) with a copy of your workspace.

You'll find workspace files in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Workspaces folder.

Please also include a link to this forum thread so that I can match the new message up with our existing case here. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
            Hello,

Please contact me via email (Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com) with a copy of your workspace.

You'll find workspace files in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Workspaces folder.

Please also include a link to this forum thread so that I can match the new message up with our existing case here. Thanks!

Please post solution/resolution on forum.

Thanks,
            John

Comment

Hello John,

This is due to the 'Equidistant bar spacing' setting. When you apply multiple data series in one chart, this setting will be set to False and cannot be changed.

This means you will see gaps during times when there was no trading. The gap is not there when you create a chart with just one data series. This is because 'Equidistant bar spacing' is set to True.

You can find this setting in the chart properties menu (right click chart).
              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Equidistant bar spacing - multiple data series gap

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                Hello John,

This is due to the 'Equidistant bar spacing' setting. When you apply multiple data series in one chart, this setting will be set to False and cannot be changed.

This means you will see gaps during times when there was no trading. The gap is not there when you create a chart with just one data series. This is because 'Equidistant bar spacing' is set to True.

You can find this setting in the chart properties menu (right click chart).
                Jason,

Thanks for your reply. This sounds like it would be a quick fix. Is there a reason for NT for not allowing the 'Equidistant bar spacing' setting to be set to True, in multiple data series?

John

Comment

Yes, if bars would plot in equal distance while there is a gap, other data series that do have data during this gap will not be able to plot all bars. All data series share the same time axis - unfortunately it is not possible to have each data series use a seperate time axis. You would need to create a seperate chart for each data series.

Comment

the reason for gap still not very clear

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                    Yes, if bars would plot in equal distance while there is a gap, other data series that do have data during this gap will not be able to plot all bars. All data series share the same time axis - unfortunately it is not possible to have each data series use a seperate time axis. You would need to create a seperate chart for each data series.
                    Jason,

thanks again for your explanation, but I'm still not sure why there's not a way to avoid them, in multi data series chart. Please refer to the image. The top image is a single 15M chart and data series. The lower image is a 15M and a 60M data series. all three charts are loaded using the NT's Default 24/7 Session Template. The image on top is continuous as expected. The image on the bottom, has a huge gap on Sunday for both the 15M and the 60M time series. towards the 4 PM (CST) there's a smaller gap, which does not interupt the 60M timeframe, however it shows up on the 15M.

On all three charts, the time axis is shared (please take a look at the time/date in each chart). on the image below there's a imposed time between Friday's close and Sunday open, that simply needs to be eliminated. the time axis could still be shared. Why would this not work?

Thanks for you time Jason.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi John.2000,

This limitation is based on the fact that both charts share the same time axis as Jason had mentioned. Because of the way that NinjaTrader matches the two separate data series on this axis a gap in series A would also be seen in series B. Unfortunately, there is no way to work-around this limitation currently when using a single chart. You would need to separate the data series in to two different Chart windows to correct display if this type of gaping was seen.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                        Hi John.2000,

This limitation is based on the fact that both charts share the same time axis as Jason had mentioned. Because of the way that NinjaTrader matches the two separate data series on this axis a gap in series A would also be seen in series B. Unfortunately, there is no way to work-around this limitation currently when using a single chart. You would need to separate the data series in to two different Chart windows to correct display if this type of gaping was seen.
                        Kyle,

Thanks for you reply. If you please refer to the lower image in my attachement in the prior post (#10), could you explain why the gap is so large between Friday's Close 11/23 and Sunday open 11/25? there was no trade, during that time, so whu is there a gap in Seried A (15M, in this case) and the Series B (60M, in this case)? There's no trade at the period (labled Sunday Gap). Whay wouldn't the gap be smaller as pointed out in the following days?

If you refer to the attached image for this post, you'll notice that there are non-equidistant spacing on a multi series chart, which is not suppose to be the case. In this chart a different Session Template is being used due to ZB's Open Cry session starting at 7:20 AM CST. but I'm showing this to point out that, somehow NT manages to show these candles continously.

Again, I realize the time axis needs to be shared in multi series charts per prior explanation, but do not get how the gap size is determind by NT.

Thanks,
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by John.2000; 11-30-2012, 02:20 AM.

Comment

There was no data at this time, but this period is included as per the session template you have loaded. So you will see the horizontal gap.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Irukandji, Today, 04:58 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Irukandji  
                          Started by fitspressoburnfat, Today, 04:25 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes