Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar Timer

Hello,

When using NinjaTrader 7's Bar Timer indicator with a CQG or Vision data feed (both are Native), the bar timer hangs or shows incorrect time.

For example, on a five-minute chart, the Bar Timer may pause its countdown at 00:00:00. Then four seconds later, the Bar Timer will "unfreeze" and be suddenly at 00:04:56. This four seconds did pass in real-time but it did not show on the chart.

I have also seen a five minute chart with a Bar Timer countdown of 00:05:30 which should not be possible.

Is this a case of packets not being communicated every second / NinjaTrader waiting for the timestamp on each packet from the data feed before displaying the time remaining?

Thanks.

Hello Vizzard77,

Thank you for your note.

In most cases this is the result of the PC clock not being in sync with the data server. Please use the steps below to change your Time Zone and sync the PC clock, note to set the server to time.nist.gov.

You can sync your PC clock by double clicking on the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop. Press 'Change time zone...' Set the Time zone and press 'OK'.

Once you have done that, click on Internet Time tab set the server to time.nist.gov and then click Update. Your PC clock should now be updated.

Please let me know if this corrects the BarTimer.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

After clicking "Update now", a few seconds goes by and then a message is displayed - "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.nist.gov. The peer is unreachable."

Also, all ping requests to time.nist.gov time out. I am able to connect to the other time servers Windows provides.

Any ideas?

Update: Windows lists time-a.nist.gov and I am able to connect to this server. However, even after this setting, the data is still hanging by three or four seconds at the end of the bar (0 mark).
      Last edited by vizzard77; 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Hello vizzard77,

Thank you for your response.

What operating system are you currently running NinjaTrader on?

Have you ran Windows Updates on your PC recently?

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Windows 7 64-bit with recent updates (as of the last week or so).
          It's an Intel i7-2600 3.40GHz i7 with 16 GB of memory.
          Internet speed is also very good.

This is why I considered the behavior of the delayed ticks to be caused by the ebb and flow of time-stamped data feed packets.

Comment

BarTimer does not consider the time-stamps of the data. This is solely dependent on your PC clock.

If you open a Time and Sales window and compare the time stamps to your PC clock (down to the second) are these in sync, or is one behind the other?

If these are out of sync, I'd suggest re-syncing your PC clock to one of the other time servers that is available from windows.
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Hi Matthew,

I just checked and the times that appear in the T & S window are about three or four seconds faster than the PC clock. I resynced and the T&S times are now correct. This difference of three or four seconds occurred overnight, despite my syncing yesterday. I will probably automate this syncing. The Bar Timer countdown now seems to be accurate. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by elirion, Today, 01:36 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post elirion
              by elirion

Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes