Can't access Ninjstrader.sdf on Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't access Ninjstrader.sdf on Windows 8

I have a new laptop with Windows 8 Pro. I installed the latest NT 7.11 and when I launch the 64-bt version I get a spalsh screen then an error message Unable to connect to database Ninjatrader.sdf (see screenshot at)

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

I don't get this problem when I launch the 32-bit version though. I have confirmed that I am running a 64-bit version of Win8

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Hello,

NinjaTrader requires various Microsoft components to run, one of which is SQL compact Edition. Currently you may not have SQL Compact Edition or possibly have the incorrect version of SQL Compact Edition installed.
    Please follow the below steps to ensure the correct version of SQL Compact Edition is installed on your PC. If you are not entirely comfortable performing the steps below, please let me know and we can setup a time for a remote support session.
    • Navigate to the Windows Control Panel
    • Add and remove software/programs
    • Uninstall any SQL Compact Editions you see, if none are present you may ignore this step and continue onto the next step
    • Install latest SQL Compact Edition 3.5. SP2 which is available here: Download Here
    • Once you run the downloaded file it will ask you for a directory to extract the installer to. Point this to a temporary directory that you will be able to quickly locate later, such as the desktop
    • Navigate to the aforementioned directory in which the files have been extracted to (there will be two files)
    • SSCERuntime_x86-ENU.msi - Run this one first
    • SSCERuntime_x64-ENU.msi - Run this second
    • Follow the installation steps outlined in the installation wizard
    • Once installed you will need to restart your PC
    • You will now be able to launch NinjaTrader 7

If you are unable to launch NinjaTrader 7, please send an email to [email protected] with your phone number and a time you can be reached Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM EST until 6:00 PM EST so that I may call you to further assist.
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT on 64bit computers

Hey Guys,

When NT is installed on a 64bit machine this fails everytime and it's not our fault, it's your fault.

Your developers need to chain BOTH the 32-bit AND the 64-bit MSI files in the application and install them BOTH on a 64-bit computer so we don't have to go through this every time we set up a 64-bit machine.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Typically, these versions should be provided by windows update, however I would tend to agree that we could improve the installation process in this regard and have forwarded your feedback to our development team.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Multiple Installations of SQL Server Compact

FYI,

I followed part of the information here but not all. I did not delete my 4.0 installation of SQL Server Compact but instead retained it alongside the recommend 3.5 install.

64 bit NT now appears to work fine.

Should I anticipate any problems from having both 3.5 and 4.0 versions of SQL Server Compact ?

Thanks

Comment

I'm not aware of any conflicts from having both versions installed.

Comment

Thanks for the post. I had the same issue with the 64 bit version no longer working after I installed VS2005. I had to find another link for the 32 bit version of SQL compact Edition, however. But is all works again.

Thanks

Comment

I'm sick and tired of downloading nt7 over and over again because of this problem. Every time, I try to install it; I have to download it. Don't you have a real download version instead of the pseudo installer that requires a new download even if it is three or more times in a day?

I get sdf problem with both 64 and 32 bit versions of nt; I'm using 64 bit Win7. I have VS2012 installed. Do I really have to change Microsoft's installations just to get nt to work? I never had to do this before. What did you guys change this time?

Side note: I did install the 3.5 version without deleting anything else and it seems to be working. It would be nice if this were included with the nt installation instead of frustrating users and forcing us to search for the fix.
                Last edited by rwbta; 12-03-2013, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for your frustration.

We do have a direct installer for the NinjaTrader product application we'll be happy to email to you for the current release. I'd rather not post this here as it could lead to users downloading an out of date version in the future. For anyone looking for a direct installer for any specific version, please feel free to email us at support[at]ninjatrader.com

There have not been any changes to in the current release in terms of SQL. If you have conflicting version of SQL installed in your GAC, the wrong version may be loaded when NinjaTrader is started. You shouldn't need to change your installations, but to work around this issue, you will need to install the specific version of SQL CE 3.5 which is linked above in this thread.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Comment

It would be nice to have a downloadable version more easily available so users don't have to keep re-downloading because of a failed installation. I've gotten nt7 running now but what a hassle it was. I've used nt off and on over a number of years so I was surprised at how difficult installation has now become. I imagine it must be very frustrating for new users. No need to email it to me or respond.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by selu72, Today, 02:01 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
                    Started by WHICKED, Today, 02:02 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post WHICKED