Historical Tick Data Limitation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical Tick Data Limitation?

I have a fairlly robust computer. Overclocked i7, 16GB ram, 2 SSD drives, Win 7 Pro 64, running NinjaTrader 64-bit 7.0.1000.11. Can you please tell me what limitations NinjaTrader database has for importing ES Tick Data. I have about 10 years of data at between 2 and 3GB per year. One year could be as much as 100,000,000 lines of text.

Can your database handle a billion lines of text?? My strategies only run on tick data, so I would like to know if I need to import and analyze 1 year at a time or import all ten years. I am refering to a continuous contract for ES.
    Thanks
    Last edited by kenb2004; 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM.

kenb2004,

Thank you for your post.

There is no limitation on how many lines can be in the text file you import, however you may notice that a large file takes some time to import. It would be best to ensure you are not connected to any data providers while importing the text file, this will free up NinjaTrader to process the import faster if speed is your concern.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Patrick
      This has nothing to do with a connection or a provider. I have already downloaded the data to my machine. The question is can NinjaTrader handle 10 years of IMPORTED tick data into the ES ##-## tick data contract without overloading it's database limitation? I don't want to import too much data at once if NinjaTrader can't handle it. So please don't just say "sure it can handle it" if your not completely sure. I don't want to crash Ninja and have to re-install it.
      Thanks

Comment

Hello,

There are no import limitations however as Patrick said you will want to make sure you're not connected to any data feeds when importing as there could be a conflict of data between your text file and the provider you're connected to.

If you are ever worried about changes you make affecting your current NinjaTrader Settings you can always run the backup/restore utility to allow you to easily restore your previous settings

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
        LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This conflict that you both mention with a connected provider, would this also be a concern with ES ##-##? Since this is not a tradable contract?
          Thanks

Comment

Hello kenb2004,

Thank you for your response.

This would not be a concern, however if you are importing a large file into NinjaTrader it is a good idea to free up resources by disconnecting your data feed or closing workspaces for the duration of the import.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by kempotrader, Today, 08:56 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post kempotrader  
            Started by kempotrader, Today, 08:54 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post kempotrader