Historic Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historic Data

In Options> Data does 'Get Data from Server' override 'Save Chart Data'?

Thanks

Alan

Hello,

Unless you use a data provider that does not provide Historical data you will want to leave "Save chart data as historical" un-checked. This feature is only used for users who do not have access to historical data from their data provider.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Lance, but is it not better i.e. faster to use data e.g. from an SSHD than downloading it. My FXCM feed for example is very slow.

I must admit I am a bit confused, as the historic data does not change why not use it locally. l have read the support pages.

Regards

Alan

Comment

Hello,

This will then depend on how much you are concerned with historical accuracy. If historical data does not concern you then un-checking Get data from server and checking save chart data as historical will work for you.

Doing this will cause the live data to be stored as historical data. If your computer is not connected or there is an outage of power or internet you will have gaps in data. Additionally sometimes bad tick data may come through. When this happens, historical data providers will often correct the error in the historical data. If you do not download from them there could be an error in the data that you would manually have to correct with the historical data manager.

In the end it is your personal preference.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

OK thanks Lance, just trying to get my head around it all!

So what happens if you leave them both checked, as its not an either/or option?

Also how does the Historic Data button in the Connection Options align with it. Say you have Use XXXX Servers checked.

Cheers

Alan

Comment

Hello,

Get data will always get data from the server if available and takes precedent over save data.

If both are checked live incoming data will be saved as historical and data will be obtained from the server.

Also how does the Historic Data button in the Connection Options align with it. Say you have Use XXXX Servers checked.
            If you disable this it will not use the historical FXCM servers for data. An example of why someone might do this is if they wanted to use Kinetick for their historical data provider instead.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_Lance; 01-28-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Save Chart Data vs Record for Mkt Replay

Hi,

I've read the user guide but am not sure of the relationship between the "Save chart data as historical" option and the "Record for market replay" option.

If I have the "record" option ticked then the data is being saved to the historical db, so that sounds somewhat similar to the "save chart data as historical" option.

What happens when the "save chart data as historical" checkbox is ticked that doesn't happen when the "record for market replay" checkbox is ticked? How does it affect me as a user specifically?

Regards,
              JD

Comment

Hello,

Save chart data as historical will store the data sent from your provider as it comes through. This is typically only recommended to users with data providers who do not provide historical data. If you do receive historical data from your provider you will likely want to uncheck this.

Record for market replay will allow you to record data to be replayed, using the market replay feature. This is required for stocks and indexes however most futures and forex are available for download from our servers. Using the recorder has limitations in that it will have missing data at any point you are not connected to your data provider.

Download NinjaTrader FREE at http://www.ninjatrader.comThis video is a recording of our live "Market Replay" webinar covering the topics:5:58 – Getting Start...

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by DJ888, Today, 10:57 PM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post DJ888
                by DJ888

Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM