Help, Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, Newbie Questions

Looking at converting over from metastock and finding some things not very intuitive. Please help answer or point to training video. Downloaded this weekend & linked to kinetics free EOD. Going to use it for EOD analysis initially. Issues

1) market analysis data not populating for preloaded lists such as the Dow30. Seems like it can't find the data. Lower left corner says I am connected. Do I need to do something in the instrument manager? Also once I get it working and have the stock list how do I save it other then using the template which doesn't save the stock list.

2) I am missing something basic in the overall hierarchy. Not really getting how the workspaces are used. In my simple mind my work flow for EOD would be to open market analyzer, select any alerted stocks, open those charts, make trading decisions and then save the chart to be referenced later. No apparent way to save chart. Is it saved as part of workspace?

Spent a far amount of time going through the tutorials, recorded webinars etc. None of them seem to give the simple overview.

Originally posted by yngtrader View Post
    Looking at converting over from metastock and finding some things not very intuitive. Please help answer or point to training video. Downloaded this weekend & linked to kinetics free EOD. Going to use it for EOD analysis initially. Issues

1) market analysis data not populating for preloaded lists such as the Dow30. Seems like it can't find the data. Lower left corner says I am connected. Do I need to do something in the instrument manager? Also once I get it working and have the stock list how do I save it other then using the template which doesn't save the stock list.

2) I am missing something basic in the overall hierarchy. Not really getting how the workspaces are used. In my simple mind my work flow for EOD would be to open market analyzer, select any alerted stocks, open those charts, make trading decisions and then save the chart to be referenced later. No apparent way to save chart. Is it saved as part of workspace?

Spent a far amount of time going through the tutorials, recorded webinars etc. None of them seem to give the simple overview.
    Your Work Flow seems eminently doable. Unless I misunderstand, I do not see the problem.

open market analyzer, - yes
    select any alerted stocks, - click on each of them
    open those charts, - they open in a chart that is linked to the Market Analyzer window
    make trading decisions
    and then save the chart to be referenced later. No apparent way to save chart. Is it saved as part of workspace? - How do you mean? You can take a screenshot if you want to a record of your decision. Otherwise, you need to open a separate chart for each of your instruments; or else open another Market Analyzer window with only your selected stocks, and link that to another chart.

Comment

Thank you,

with regard to the work flow and saving charts. I see that if I save the workspace with the chart open, next time I go into that workspace the chart will be open. However if I am getting 3 alerts per EOD, that is going to have a lot of charts open since the average trade length is 10 days. Seems like I 'might have to create a instrument list for my active trades so that I can pull them up on a daily basis which seems cumbersome realtive to a simple chart save file. Feels like I am missing something basic

Still can't get the market analyser to show any data using the kinetic EOD free data.

Comment

Hello,

In terms of the market analyzer, which columns are used? Last Price for example.
        Could you provide a few examples of instruments which are applied?
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

just loaded the dow 30 list that comes predefined with download and kinetics. Current columns are askprice, bidprice, last price. Also added in daily vol incase it was a real time issue. still nothing.

If I use simulated feed the ask,bid,last all work but the daily vol is still blank. has to be some type of basic set up timing issue. Is there a location where you set analyser time frame (for example daily or by tick)
          Last edited by yngtrader; 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me.

1.) Ask, bid and last in the market analyzer will require a real-time update. That will occur with Kinetick's EOD feed, however it would take place only once at the end of the trading day.

2.) Daily volume would not appear when the Simulated Data Feed is used. In it's place, an indicator column with VOL applied should be used. As we're outside of standard trading hours at this time, you would also need to right click in the analyzer and open the Properties menu to select the 'Default 24/7' Session Template setting before data would become available in the VOL column.

Comment

Thank you,
              thats got it. If you have the time a few other newbie questions;-
              - where can I find other index and stocks. For example the dow instrument doesn't seem to have volume. Also use to a lot more equities. Is that set up on the instruments page and I just need to create new lists? With metastock I was use to scanning about 2800 instruments.
              - Is there a pdf out there listing the programing function structure (such as SMA, EMA) so I can create more indicators?
              - What is the point of the session manager - don't understand purpose
              - any comments on my earlier question on how to save charts?
              thank you

Comment

Hello,

1.)
                NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
                • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
                • Press the "New" button
                • *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
                • Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
                • Press the "OK" button

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
                • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
                • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
                • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
                • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.

2.) Please see the following link to our Help Guide for a NinjaScript Language Reference: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../indicator.htm

3.) The Session Manager window is used to create and configure Session Templates. Session Templates are set up to contain the session start and end times of a specific market or instrument.

4.) Saving charts within workspaces is the only way to cause those charts to load automatically.

Comment

Thank you,

1) There is no way to add a large quantity of instruments other then by hand? For example if I wanted to have all stocks on the NYSE available, I can't add by exchange? Also Ideally would like to filter large group out using the market analyzer, then save the filtered list as an instrument list

2) The language reference link didn't seem to have much information, was hoping for a list of functions to enable making indicators. Alternatively, is there an indicator wizard? I have tried the ninjascript, makes sense for the strategy wizard but for an indicator after you get through the input, plots, oscilator lnes it dumps you into the code section.

Comment

yngtrader, you could import a list of stocks as well by supplying the tickers as a 'batch' - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stock_symb.htm

The indicator wizard sets the outer skeleton for your script, however the conditions to actually construct the script logic would need to be entered via the NinjaScript (C# based) programming code. To get started here I would recommend going through our tutorials -

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                    Started by trilliantrader, Today, 03:01 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes