Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less indicator values when longer time frames chosen

Hi,

I have imported about a days worth of test tick data for the 2nd of Feb in the 6E 03-13 contract. I specified create minute bar data when importing. I attach three screenshots of the resultant chart. I am including Volume and RSI indicators but the longer the candle I try to display the less Volume and RSI data I get to see? On the 1min chart only a few candles are missing indicator values. The 15min chart has more missing indicator data. The 60 min chart only shows 1 bar of volume data and no RSI data. What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Files

Hello darmbk,

This is to be expected as the Indicators are going to require 20 bars before they are going to start displaying values. It is done this way to ensure that there is enough data to start calculating. Once you have more data that your are loading up you will see values being generated.
    JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi JC,

Thanks for your response. I should have been more specific with my query. The two indicators I show are VOL and RSI. VOL I would have anticipated that every bar should show VOL as that is an input from the data series itself and there is no accumulation from previous bars required. RSI waits for 20 bars regardless of what I set the period to. I have also tested SMA and no matter what I set the period to I only get SMA appearing after 20 bars even if I set the period to 100 which shouldn't appear at all.

Thanks in advance,
      darmbk.

Comment

Hello darmbk,

The indicator will need at least 20 bars to plot but will look back up to 100 bars if available.
        Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Christopher,

I appreciate your response. I don't want to drag this out any further but for clarity can I ask:

[1] If VOL is volume, why is there a need to look back at all? Volume is a part of the input data so there should be a value for every candle right? Should I be plotting something else other than VOL to see the volume of every candle?
          [2] Accepting the fact that there will always be 20 bars without indicator data, if it only looks back a maximum of 100 bars, does this mean I cannot plot a 200 SMA as this would require 200 bars?

Many thanks,
          darmbk.

Comment

Hello darmbk,

1) The VOL indicator will display the number of contracts traded during the bar.

2) An indicator can look back further than 100 bars. The 100 bar value I referenced was in regards to your mention of a 100 period SMA.
            Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
            6 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post algospoke  
            Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes